PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
So I just figured this out. I am not surprised if you all have been ahead of me lol. When lighting my pipes in wind or wind bursts I have found that my Zippo when I tilt it sideways to light my pipe tends to allow the wind to blow the flame towards my fingers. But without thinking I changed how I hold it today and grabbed the top to save my fingers and went duh, that is too simple. Holding the cap instead of the body of the Zippo put my fingers ahead of the flame and safe. May not be describing this right, but blew my mind how simple it was! If need be I will take a picture for you all.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would love to see someone relight a bowl at say the halfway point in a 'stack' or 'chimney' with a Zippo. In fact any pipe at the halfway mark would be nigh on impossible I reckon.
Regards,
Jay.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Leave the Zippo vertical and turn the pipe sideways. Even my deepest magnum can be relit with a Zippo. :wink:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just don't hold it to the flame for very long. Should do fine. Quick puffs is the trick for that one, or maybe I've been smoking for too long. :mrgreen:

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I'll give this a shot on my next windy pipe! I normally judge the wind, turn away from it and then spin around like a moron trying to find the exact direction that won't burn my fingers. This tip could turn out to be the best thing I've learned all week!

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
I would say that a zippo with the pipe insert is the best engineered device for getting flame safely into a deep bowl.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I would have to agree. After a month of using mine I couldn't be happier. And for $15.00, I can lose a lot of these and still save Old Boy money.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Well folks I tried to light a pipe with a Zippo but to no avail. Freshly packed to within ~3 mm of the bowl top and all I managed to do was lightly singe the baccy so I gave up.
As Thomas points out, things might be different if I had the pipe insert.
Ah well, it was worth the experiment anyway but I shall stick to my gas lighter.
Regards,
Jay.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
? I lit my pipe in Germany with a zippo on long walks and never had an issue. And Germany is in everyone's top 5 for crappy weather. And yes, wind will blow any flame in the direction of the wind.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've used a Zippo 99% of the time for decades and never had a problem with it. So have millions of people for even more decades. Flip it open, light it, turn it sideways, draw, flip it closed. And yeah the wind will blow the flame in its direction. Duh! Turn so the wind is not blowing toward your fingers holding the lighter and they won't get flamed. Double duh!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Pretty much the same with Bics, though more care needs to be taken to block out wind. I'm experimenting with Xicars now, too, but not as handy as my Zippo or Bic.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I presume all you Zippo fans are using the pipe insert then?
When I tried with a 'regular' Zippo I was indoors so no wind to contend with. I very rarely smoke outside in fact I rarely go outside :?
Regards,
Jay.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I presume all you Zippo fans are using the pipe insert then?
Yes. I used a regular Zippo for the pipe and it worked ok including outdoors. The main advantage of the pipe insert is it keeps the flame right over the bowl and out of contact with the rim. If you're like me and don't give a rat's ass about rim darkening it really doesn't matter. When mine wore out after 35 years and I sent it to Zippo I asked for a pipe insert.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
John you are quite correct, been here (currently near Falmouth and if you know the district a clue is in my 'name') since 1988 so no you haven't gone Bodmin yet :wink:
I presume you are in the UK too?
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.