PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
I like my zippo and dont notice a fluid taste. I also have a thunderbird incert in another zippo that I like too. they both work great for me as lond as I dont run out of fuel.

gungnir

Lurker
May 22, 2012
@anduril8
Thanks for the paraffin wax tip it always bothers me to have an empty zippo after a week of it not being used. Otherwise I love my zippo in the beginning I could taste the fuel, but after letting it air out before lighting for a couple of seconds, as well as waiting a couple more seconds after lighting, I have had no problems.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
been using a zippo since 1976, still have that one cost me a weeks pay, and have used everything from lighter fluid to mogas to avgas to kerosine in it. let it burn for a moment befor lighting and you taste nothing....

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
This is a good thread. I've always been a Zippo fan and agree with the ideas of a few seconds wait before strike/light, makes a huge difference. The wax is a great tip I'd not heard before; many thanks!!

oldredbeard

Jul 20, 2012
I have used a zippo for many years, and I'm afflicted, LOL. I like the taste of the fluid in that first puff, but I have tried waiting a few seconds to light, and its is gone. I like the wax tip also, will have to give that a try.
Thanks

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Okay gang, just this week I got my Zippo back from Zippo with my new pipe insert. I busted it out last night and tried it out on a new clean pipe ( a Savinelli Sport). I normally use a Vintage Butane Ronson pipe lighter so I was ready for some "off taste" I lit the Zippo, let it burn for 2-5 seconds, the lit the pipe. First off no taste, Fluid was the black can, secondly, the light was fantastic, quickly and with almost no moving the zippo around the entire bowl was glowing and cool. Love it. I also got a kick out of how in the pipe insert they put wire in the wick to keep it straight. Genius. No wonder its been the staple / go to for all these years.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
I always use a Zippo with a pipe insert,I just give it a second or two before light my pipe,no smell.I will try the wax idea,thanks for for that Induril8.
Tom

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I like my Zippo pipe lighter. I've been using an old container of Ronsonol I've had for 15 years. It really helps to let it burn off for a few seconds.

unixhelp

Lurker
May 24, 2012
Only ever tried zippo and ronson fluid but i can taste a difference, the ronson seems to be the purist...perhaps its the plastic container it comes in?

piperm

Lurker
Nov 10, 2012
Hello all pipe smokers,PiperM here.I am a newbie here and to pipe smoking aswell.I wanted to share a helpful tip I discovered in my using a fuel/Zippo type lighter.Try this next time you go to add fluid,add a few drops of "pure vanilla extract" to batting then fluid over it!This will mostly neutralize the nasty fuel taste and even add a bit of plesant flaver to your relights! You can try other extracts too if vanilla is not your preferance,they have coffee,almond,ect.Give it a try,and leave feedback,would love to hear your results.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
The same concerns are in the cigar rooms. After you light it, any fumes go up in flames, my opinion. It is fire & never tasted fuel. Then again, many cigar smokers say you need matches only made from a special kind of wood. Use my Zippo on cigars & pipes. Just my opinion & taste. After 45+ years of smoking.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
No, the problem with fuel taste is interference with the tobacco tasting the way the blender intended it to taste. I guarantee few people here think covering up one foreign flavor with another one that you introduce intentionally is a good idea.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
I now use matches and a Ronson jetlite lighter partially because of the zippo fuel being a pain.

arabpipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2012
Thanks for the great discussion; i just got my Zippo last month during a business trip to Dubai/UAE and plan to open it Feb 2013 to celebrate 1 year of pipe smoking while braking my new Nerrup pipe at same time :puffy:

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
Maybe adding a pinch of baccy to the can would flavor the fluid as well? If you can get it in there... I guess you could soak the baccy in an oz of fluid and then suck it back into the can or use a syringe if inclined. I keep going back and forth on whether to try a zippo. Iconic and stood the test of time. Most likely will get one soon.

gray4lines

Nov 6, 2012
KY
Maybe adding a pinch of baccy to the can would flavor the fluid as well? If you can get it in there... I guess you could soak the baccy in an oz of fluid and then suck it back into the can or use a syringe if inclined. I keep going back and forth on whether to try a zippo. Iconic and stood the test of time. Most likely will get one soon.
Or just replace the cotton inside the lighter with tobacco!
I just got one maybe a week ago. At first I didn't notice a taste, but it's definitely there, especially when pulling the flame to light the very bottom of the bowl (Zippo brand/black can). That said, the taste does not linger or remain for the smoke; just there a little, then gone.
I would recommend giving it a try. They are pretty cheap as far as lighters go (if you're used to buying Xikars and stuff), they do great in wind and cold (butane will crap out in the cold), I find it very easy to get a good even light and char, and they are fun as hell to light up.
It won't replace my butane lighters or matches, but it's a great tool to have.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
metarzan - if you are looking for an interesting Zippo, check the project the New York City Pipe Club is working this month on a limited edition Sailorman Jack model.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.