PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
C&D Pegasus
Carter Hall
Angler's Dream

I love burley and cobs. In the past when I smoked more than I do now, burley in a corn cob made up more than half of my pipe smoking. That's not the case these days, but I still smoke burley and cobs quite a bit.

The subtle cinnamon notes in Angler's Dream IMO make it a great burley for the fall and winter, and a seasonal corn cob favorite. Pegasus to me is the platonic ideal of a burley blend to stuff in a cob. If I was an old codger who smoked only one readily-available OTC blend, it would be Carter Hall.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm not much of a Burley guy, but here's my top five.

MacBaren's Old Dark Fired
Peterson's Irish Flake
Park-Lane's Fireside
C&D's Three Friars
L,J, Peretti's Thanksgiving Day

My all-time basic blends,
MC Baren HH Old Dark Fired,
Amphora original brown and burley blends
Mc Barens Golden Extra, and Prince Albert?
old dark fired is awesome. It reminds me of bbq in the best way and without the artery clogging grease.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Seeing other's posts here, it makes me realize I consider burley and dark-fired (kentucky) as two quite different things, or at least two quite different smoking experiences. For example, many folks suggested Irish Flake, but I never thought of that as a burley (though I know it is), so I never suggested it despite it being one of my favorites as well. I guess I need to learn the differences.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Seeing other's posts here, it makes me realize I consider burley and dark-fired (kentucky) as two quite different things, or at least two quite different smoking experiences. For example, many folks suggested Irish Flake, but I never thought of that as a burley (though I know it is), so I never suggested it despite it being one of my favorites as well. I guess I need to learn the differences.
Dark fired isn't burly. It is it's own beast. However there is good chance that someone who loves burly might also like dark fired. I didn't include it in my original post, but since it's brought up I had to say how good it is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll stick with my picks on page 2, but I like so many burleys and burley blends, I have to mention the old time and bag blends:

SWR, and SWRA
Granger
Edward G. Robinson
OHM Turkish Red
D&R Two Timer
Three Star Blue

Etc.