PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Five Brothers is my top burly blend. It's a nearly daily smoker for me. There are others that I may enjoy more when I enjoy them. But I enjoy it regularly. It's got more nuance and character then it gets credit for. Also just love the way it smokes. You just wave match over it and sip on the smoke. I suggest with such a fine shag to cram it into the pipe right up to the point it where it's about to restrict the draw. Otherwise it will burn it's self, and the flavor becomes much sharper then if packed like you would a ribbon.
Forgot to add the burly flakes by C&D. They're tied for second place.

Last edited:

Bax Burley

Can't Leave
Jul 20, 2021
Pennsylvania
There are lots of good premium Burleys out there, but I mainly go for Lane Burley LWAB, Butternut Burley, Peter Stokkebye 702, and then I like Va/Burs, like Peterson Sherlock Holmes, or Tinder Box Norse Gold. I put Burley in my name the day I signed up because I think I was smoking LWAB that day.

Reactions: autumnfog

sisyphus

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2019
VaBurs deserve their own thread IMO. You get into stuff like GH Brown and Rum Flakes all the way into stouter fare like GH Dark Flake, 1792 and Rattray's Stirling Flake and I really can't talk about them in the same breath as Burleys. VaBurs are an indispensable sub-category and I usually end my day with one.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
  1. Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match
  2. Mac Baren London Burley
  3. Manil Semois, any cut
  4. Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
  5. Stokkebye 41 Cube Cut

Some special mentions, to include the great burley flakes:
  1. Mac Baren HH Burley Flake
  2. Solani Aged Burley Flake
  3. Mac Baren Navy Flake
I’m sure there are more. For an easy inexpensive introduction, Amphora Burley can’t be beat.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Five Brothers is my top burly blend. It's a nearly daily smoker for me. There are others that I may enjoy more when I enjoy them. But I enjoy it regularly. It's got more nuance and character then it gets credit for. Also just love the way it smokes. You just wave match over it and sip on the smoke. I suggest with such a fine shag to cram it into the pipe right up to the point it where it's about to restrict the draw. Otherwise it will burn it's self, and the flavor becomes much sharper then if packed like you would a ribbon.
Forgot to add the burly flakes by C&D. They're tied for second place.
My experience with 5 Bros exactly. Pack it tight, give it the slightest light, and sip.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I primarily smoke burleys myself, so I'll give a top five (for me), in no particular order (some are burley-forward blends):

Five Brothers
Reserve du Patron (or any Semois burley from Vincent Manil)
Old Joe Krantz/Haunted Bookshop (same blend, different proportions -- former is stronger and spicier)
Kelly's Coin (warning, not many like it, but if you want a strong burley, give it a try)
Granger (had to include an OTC codger blend since we're talking burleys here).

Honorable mention: Any of C&D's Burley Flake #1 thru #5