Your High Dollar Artisan Pipes: Display Only? Or Smoke Away?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I'm getting ready to purchase a couple of unique pipes I've just commissioned. They would be considered pipe art by some. Definitely appropriate for display purposes only. I however, intend to smoke them as if they were a Dr. Grabow. That just got me wondering: There's many members here with many high dollar pipes. How often are you displaying/collecting them in unsmoked condition vs how often are you smoking them, regardless of price/appearance?

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
Personally, I would never buy a guitar I won't play, car car I won't drive, or a pipe I won't smoke.
I am a musician and I know players who refuse to bring their best insrtuments out to play. It would make me cry to know I had a better tone in a case under the bed.
When I pass onto the great beyond, there will be teeth marks on every bit.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I'm not a show and tell guy. Put me in the smoke and tell category. The more I pay for a pipe the faster I'll get to smoking it! If it's a stinker, I'll cry for awhile and say, "Never again!" And then I do the same dadgum thing all over again. It's a disease, for sure. :cry:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There's a cure, Steve, Mr. Stud! Just eat, sleep and dream pipe stuff, and then become a dealer in all things pipe-like! Do it on the 'net!

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
I Agree with the rest. I would never buy a pipe I wouldn't smoke

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
When I buy a pipe, it is my intention to puff it. Funny thing is that I tend to use the estate pipes pretty quickly; the trophyish purdy ones that are unsmoked are the ones I tend to just admire for quite a long while. Just can't decide what to break them in with.
hp

les

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
I'm not a collector, so I smoke 'em.
Maybe I should have saved a few, who knows. So far, no regrets.

Jan 8, 2013
With 24 pipes now in my herd, I don't have the amount of pipes some of you have, but I'm definitely a collector of Petersons and Nordings, as I definitely intend to purchase more... in fact pipe number 25 is on its way. Another Peterson... and a beauty even the Peterson haters will appreciate. I guess you can say I smoke my collection.

moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2012
Yes, I smoke them too. I've never bought a pipe with any other intention. Sometimes, for whatever sentimental reasons, I don't smoke a new pipe right away and I will enjoy handling it and looking at it in unsmoked condition for a while. But I probably get to smoking the more expensive ones quicker and it is not the price that causes me to delay the first smoke.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I absolutely don't see the point of paying high dollar for a pipe just so it can sit in a glass display cabinet. I would smoke everything I buy. The point of a well made artesian pipe is that the craftsman has the experience to create a perfect smoking pipe. I'm sure many woodworkers could make a pretty looking pipe, far fewer have the expertise to create a perfect smoking pipe. It's designed to be smoked, so fire it up!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I watch my Weaver pieces tracking, and when it says, "Out for delivery", I prep tobacco and wait for the mail van to arrive.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I bought a Davorin Morta Blowfish and was smoking it right as the credit card receipt printed out. I'm not a collector I'm a pipe smoker. I say smoke away!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I absolutely don't see the point of paying high dollar for a pipe just so it can sit in a glass display cabinet.
I absolutely can. Diff folks, diff strokes..... And I don't happen to have a pipe that I won't smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.