PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

echie

Can't Leave
Jul 7, 2014
Amsterdam
As many others here, I'm still developing my palate. So I tend to experiment a lot and try new blends on a regular basis.
Having said that, I always keep some Hal o the Wynd at hand, for when I want something familiar which I know I'll enjoy. 4th Generation's 1855, 1882 and 1931 are also safe havens.

Apr 20, 2015
I have been a pipe smoker for 55 years and can honestly say that I tried almost every blend that has been available for all that time. However, I must say that I am now Brand loyal to TRIBUTE a medium english blend by B&B Tobacconists of Asheville, N C. No affiliation just a big fan of this great blend.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
One of the most fascinating things about pipe smoking for me is just how quickly my tastes change. I've bounce around like a pinball and think that the seasonality of pipe tobacco has a huge impact for me. This winter, I've smoked primarily Irish Flake and ODF with Savinelli Doblone d'oro as a change of pace. With the arrival of spring (literally this week) I'm breaking out the St James Flake and plan to order some Butera Golden Cake for summer. I've been spoiled by the smoking ease of the dfk blends and approaching SJF is a massive pain in the ass to light/smoke.

pipejunky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 16, 2014
My taste changes all the time but I have at least five blends that I'm not without.

chalbach72

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2014
United States
halbachphoto.com
I personally go by the seasons. I live in MS, so I frequent the Country Squire, where they make their own house blends. For the summer, as this is my first time smoking in the summer, I've been smoking a peach aromatic called Summer Breeze, and Blue Ribbon, a blackberry tobacco that's light in taste with a wonderful aroma. As for the fall/winter, I typically smoke a variety of things. My go-to for the fall has and will always be Lancaster, a blend by the Squire that is caramel and coffee! For winter, I switch back and forth from Lancaster to McClelland Holiday Spirit!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I just looked at my post from a year ago and I can say that I have added 3 blends to my list and now have 28 stocked in my cellar and in my rotation. The three I added are Capstan Blue Flake, GL Pease Navigator and Brigham Klondike Gold( thanks peck). I have thought about maybe adding Capstan Gold Flake to my cellar, but find it too similar to my Wessex Gold Virginia flake, the Capstan Blue and Dunhill Flake. The only thing different about the Gold is the citrus notes I get from it, and I am not sure if it is worth stocking up on just for a few citrus notes. I really should smoke another tin or 2 of the Gold to see if it is something I cannot do without. Is anyone here a big fan of the Gold and if so what is it that appeals to you.

dechuckie

Lurker
Apr 23, 2014
Wow. Nice question, as evidenced by the 96 replies before mine... definitely must be an overwhelming list of answers, but as a relative newb myself, here's my take:
Aromatics:

Sutliff's Molto Dolce

Tom Eltang's Sweet and Mellow

Reserve 1928 (Tinder Box, Mclelland)
Virginias:

Orlik Golden Sliced
English:

Frog Morton's Cellar

Peterson's Old Dublin (Thanks Jud!)
Good luck!

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
I've only been piping for a little over 51 years. SWR was my main smoke for many years. Then I discovered English/Balkan blends. Last year I tried VAs but found them to be lacking. Guess I just miss the Latikia. These days, Westminster is my "big jar", with Lagonda coming on strong. MM965, Nightcap, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning, Shortcut To Mushrooms, Frog Morton's various journeys, and Bald Headed Teacher are all generally in the rotation. Carter Hall is my fall*back in the shop or at the range. I work others in as the opportunity presents, such as Exhausted Rooster and Maltese Falcon currently in the "explore mode". Just like trying new blends, although, as I said, VA's don't make the cut for me.

kitobi

Lurker
Feb 26, 2015
I hear such good things about Sutliff's Molto Dolce, but just not available in the UK..
so far my go to is Macbaren cube silver
recently received sample sizes of several aromatics and 1 rope I am yet to try, but i'm still very new to this game and haven't really decided what I like or don't yet.

stapf

Lurker
Jan 22, 2015
While I may find others that I like better for short amounts of time, my all day every day pick is C and D's Kajun Kake. It always hits the spot.

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I haven't been here for long, but I have already gone through several ounces of EMP or matches for the same, plus I've already dedicated jars to H&H Mt. Marcy, Stogie, Steamroller, Anniverary Kake, plus a couple of my favorite, and mostly natural aromatics from local B&Ms (one of them has a vanilla twist combined with virginia and Latakia, and is quite amazing, while the other has just the right amoung of the store's own unflavored cavendish with different types of burley). Still in the process of discovering great blends, because I like variety. I've spent a lot of time researching different tobacco types and blends during the past few months, and trying what appears to be good by the description. Coming from cigars, full flavor, and often a good nicotine hit are desired, although I would definitely not smoke Nightcap or Steamroller in the morning. I also look forward to trying Larry's Blend by H&H as an alternative to Nightcap, as I agree with Russ's friend that 10 To Midnight is sort of bland.
The cigars I used to smoke had excellent taste, plus they left a pleasant (to my nose, anyway) aroma behind in the house. Love the taste of English mixes, but it seems that it's the exception more than the rule with pipes when I don't have to choose between rich taste and pleasant olfactory after-effects. MacBaren 7-Seas, despite being such a sticky aromatic that it requires much airing out, actually has some virginia in it, giving it a bit more taste than any top-dressed and cheap all-burley (the cheapest kind) aromatic.

May 27, 2015
Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake

Brigham Klondike Gold

Mac Baren ODF

McClelland Blackwoods Flake

McClelland Virginia Woods

Frog Morton

McClelland Best of Show

Trout Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.