PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Sable: How very interesting. The force of The Lonesome Dove to me is the combination of good writing and perfect cast. The characters are very sharp. Are you a moviemaker?
More of a movie enabler. At that time I was a matte painter and had been hired onto the show to paint a matte painting, on glass, of the Montana ranch in winter which would be cross dissolved with the same shot without the snow overlay. The idea was to convey the change of seasons. I did an in-camera glass shot, a particular form of cinematic high wire act that few matte painters of my generation, or the generation before, could pull off. The shot is done live on location, not in post, and it has to work the first time or you're screwed. This means that you have to be able to correctly estimate the color temperatures of light and shadow at the time that the shot is scheduled to be taken. You have about a 40 minute window where the live background and the painting will merge before the direction of light and the color temperature shifts too much for the elements to marry up. You need to able to control light levels between the painting and the background. Everything has to be ready to go at the moment the shot is to be taken. With production costs running about $20.000 an hour (at that time} any delay is expensive, and too much delay means that the shot can't be taken. Glass shots were common in the early days of film, when any post processing would result in noticeable image degradation. Once technology improved, other more flexible and forgiving methods became prominent.
Simon fell in love with the lens I chose for the shot, one he hadn't been using, and he kept sending his assistants to "borrow" it for his other shots, which made getting the painting started and aligned with the live background location impossible to do. It was only when I quit and called for a car to take me back to Santa Fé that he cut the shit and I was able to get the shot done.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Terry Gilliam

George Lucas

Sergio Leone

John Ford

Ridley Scott

Quentin Tarantino

Kurosawa

Kubrick
I'm sure there are more and these are in no order. These directors always hit the spot.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Tarkovsky -- Andrei Rublev
Kurosawa -- Ikiru
Eastwood -- Gran Torino
Coppola -- Godfather I/II
Leone -- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Jan 8, 2013
Sable, that's a great story. I love Lonesome Dove and watch it from time to time as well. I'll never be able to watch it again without thinking of that story, especially that scene.

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
Special mention for Sergei Eisenstein, director of arguably the greatest silent film of all time, 'The Battleship Potempkin'. One of the great thrills of my life was to walk up and down the Odessa Steps (which play a crucial role in the film's most famous scene).
Mike

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
5 is tough... I'll number my 5....
#1 Lars Von Trier - Breaking the Waves

#2 Hal Hartley - Henry Fool, No such thing

#3 Bernardo Bertolucci - Last Tango In Paris

#4 Wes Anderson - Life Aquatic

#5 Terry Gilliam!!!

Richard Fleischer The Boston Strangler, Soylent Green

Woody Allen - Sleeper

Ken Russell Salomes last dance, liar of the white worm

Roman Polanski ninth gate, chinatown

Martin Scorsese - mean streets, gangs of NY

Elia Kazan - America America, On the Waterfront

Blake Edwards _ Pink Panthers

Quentin Tarantino - inglorious basterds

Stanley Kubrick - 2001 and more

Alan Parker - Angelheart

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I am one that loves movies, but kind of doesn’t pay attention to directors so much. So my favorite directors are closely tied to the movies that I just can’t seem to turn off when I run across them. So here goes in no particular order...
David Lynch - Dune

John Ford - The Quiet Man, Wee Willie Winkie

Mel Brooks - Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein

Francis Ford Coppola - The Godfather

Rob Reiner - The Princess Bride (I blame an old girlfriend for this one) and several others
Oh, and pretty much anything with Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, Danny Kaye, and Errol Flynn.

shanegreen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 17, 2018
Now, we must be some old guys because I am seeing a lot of people saying The Quiet Man. That was a good one. Used to watch it with my family as it was my grandfather's favorite.

It may take me a while to pick five, but I'll get it started.
Sergi Leone- The Good, Bad, and Ugly, and Once Upon a Time in the West.

Orson Welles -Citizen Kane is a hard one to top.
Now I am having a hard time with directors, because I now watch movies with actors I like. If Jimmy Stewart is in it I will like it. Also Audie Murphy movies are all good.

I have to think for a while now.

Status
Not open for further replies.