Your Favorite TV Show To Watch While Smoke a Pipe; and, Why?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
My old "grab my pipe, hit the recliner, and put on an episode or three of ________" , used to be The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes from 1954, due to all the pipe-smoking; and also, Dark Shadows from the 1966 B&W-era, due to the overall sedate and meditative creepiness which seemed to match the cadence of my puffing, quite nicely.

Lately however, I have really been enjoying The Invaders - a Quinn Martin Production - from 1966-1968, while doing my after-dinner Pipe Smoking Me-Time Therapy. The show's pace has a cerebral, meditative quality - while fraught with a wonderfully paranoid atmosphere - which to me, also is conducive to enjoyable pipe smoking in a relaxed and thoughtful manner. For those who have never seen the show, I recommend the premier/pilot episode: Beachhead ; if you'd like to try a test-fit.

So, what currently is your favorite TV show to watch while smoking a pipe; and, why? - Sherm Natman

People go on and on about a show, book, or movie with someone shown just holding a pipe for like seconds…. Whereas, The Royal on BritBox (and Amazon Prime) actually has a pipesmoking surgeon who uses his pipe throughout, even smoking during surgery, uses his pipe to save lives, and has a million gags about his pipe throughout. Sable suggested it, and the wife and I have been binging it. Great show, and if you like a detective who just holds a pipe in a show for a second, this show will really make Sherlock and that French detective guy look like posers.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I work all of the time so all of my smoking is on my feet. Haven't watched television for years.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
I cant smoke inside but if I could it would be 40s 50s movies tv shows and radio shows.
YES! I love Olde Tyme Radio shows from the 30s-40s too! The Shadow, The Green Hornet, Chase & Sanborn Hour with Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy.

To me, there is something about the slower pace of yesteryear, better matches the relaxed pace of thoughtful, relaxed pipe smoking enjoyment. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: Grangerous