PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I don't think there has been one that I have tried that I just couldn't finish. Granted I have just recently got into actual tobacco and not just OTC blends. But I wonder if that's why I don't find myself completely disappointed in blends.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The half-dozen Sutliff blends I tried (so little nic it was like smoking hot air).

Lane's ERR reissue, and EGRobinson (reminded me again why I never liked drugstore tobacco)

Current version of 3 Nuns (flat and harsh, all that remains is the name)

GL Pease Virginia Cream (the more I smoke it the more it reminds me of a drugstore aro, minus the goopy dottle).
Basically I have been disappointed with every blend I've been intrigued by forum reviews to try. I've been smoking a pipe since the 70s and always preferred a strong, full-bodied, natural, high quality blend. I have no need for any other Latakia blend besides Nightcap. Dunhill DNR-aka-Escudo does it for me in the VaPer category. Erik Stokkebye's 1931 flake is my aro. Royal Yacht is my straight VA (or close to it, I really can't tase any casing to speak of).

janosh

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2015
Hungary
I was disappointed with Peterson's Irish Oak. It tastes more like a cigarette than a pipe tobacco.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Christmas cheer and many straight va blends I find bland. I do like Blackwoods flake and darkstar though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
The re release of Hamborger Veermaster is disapointing when fresh. It has little flavor and the flakes do not have the moisture of the original blend. I am hoping aging will turn it around. The original that I started smoking in 2001, was great right off the bat. I have two tins left from that time. Last one I cracked in 2012, was awesome, black as could be and sublime flavors.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
While not having sampled every one, no Dunhill blend has lit my fire.

+1 @jpmcwjr: I did find a tin of Dunhill Flake on a B&M shelf that had been sitting there for 3 years, and it was decent, but even then, I haven't felt compelled to reorder. I guess I'll try one of their classic English blends before writing them off completely, though, seeing as I've gotten more of a taste for latakia lately.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Suttlif Court of Saint James, not enough perique and the Virginia taste like it belonged in another blend and was outsourced for St.James. But there was great news! started looking for the same flavor elsewhere. I found Cornell and Diehl's Buffalo Soldier. Same three tobaccos, Virginia, Large Dose of perique and a splash Latakia. First C&D blend I tried and my deserted island lifetime supply blend.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
@Shawn: great thread mate, very nice to get opinions from other people about blends, and one can see that some have great opinions of some blends while others don't for the same.

In my case, I really enjoyed the Just for Him - Middle Earth series but I smoked them at the beginning of my pipe smoking journey. Today, after having tried many others, they don't feel as great.

MCB - Cherry choice (smells great but is really not that great to smoke)

WO Larsen Signature (same)

GL Pease - Barbary Coast

Many C&D Aro (Apples and cream, Chocolate cavendish, ... )

FVF

Dunhill Elizabethan mixture

MCC - Three Oaks Syrian (really expected a lot, and didn't live up to it, not bad, but not as I hoped)
Good ones:

FMC

SPC - Potlatch and Deception Pass

Dunhill Flake

Planta - Marc de Champagne (not a lot of people have tried it or reviewed, but I found it to be a very nice mellow aro blend, doesn't burn the tongue, stays lit, nice smoke definitely)

SG - Perfection
But there are so many more out there to try :) , I have several new blends on the way, can't wait.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Very few blends ever thrill me.
Disappointments:

Penzance

Germain's Balkan Sobranie

F&T Cut Virginia Plug

Gaslight

Three Nuns
Joys:

Easy Chair

Haddo's Delight

Warhorse Ready Cut

Johm Cotton's #1 Mild

St. Bruno

Red Ribbon 1983, 1996, 2000 and 2008

SJF

Revor Plug

Velvan Plug

HOTW

2007 Marlin Flake

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Oh oh, sorry Peck, I have nothing against Captain Bob himself, but I just can't get past the Nehi Grape thing. And honestly, I rather smoke any Lakeland blend rather than Crooner! There's probably many that like these blends, but for me, no thanks...

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
C&D Big n Burley and Old Joe Krantz - From first light to me tasted strongly of ash like I imagine licking an ashtray might taste.

Two Friends English Chocolate - Similar to C&D blends above.

Solani Aged a burley Flake - Just bland.

bphilli75

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2013
Exceeded - Sutliff Medium English, H&H Classic Burley Kake, H&H Prince Andrew. Can't get enough of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.