PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Isn't it amazing how, even you are not quite sure this is the pipe you should have, watching the pipe you think you want on Ebay becomes more and more valuable as the time clicks closer to 'end'? The anticipation, the anxiety. Should I bid more?
LOL

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
All of you are absolutely correct and I have enjoyed reading all that you have to say. Firstly, I plan on being in Missouri by the end of the month and I plan on hunting me down a cob for sure. I am getting to be glad that i don't win and feel pretty silly, like you have said, patience, personal boundaries, all such great advice. I do love to research and I have so much free time since I don't even have a tv in my truck. I will find pleasure in learning more and more until I find something else to pine for. Right now it may just be a can of frog Morton I have been hearing so much about.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yep bid on my first Dunhill last week. Silver spigot. Got outbid. Was bummed but there are more pipes in the tobacciana sea.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
By reading a few of the posts its obvious we've all been down that road before! Lol

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Welcome to the forum!
While it's true that you might miss a pipe that is unique, there are millions of 'unique' pipes out there and 10s of 1000s of them find there way onto ebay each day. Patience is a virtue.
I have missed out on bids, but I never feel guilty. I place my high bid with less than 10 seconds left so that I never have time to succumb to auction madness and bid higher.
I hate even more when I am tracking an auction and work or parenting in the way and i MISS the end of the auction. Missed out on a meer lined disney, random other pipe and kaywoodie 6pipe stand that went for under $20 today because i got called into a work meeting. THAT pisses me off.
LOL.
But patience is a virtue and there will be another deal soon. For me and for you.
=D

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Fiawol I just put an offer in on a group of pipes that happens to have a "the pipe" in it. If they accept I'll let you know and you can have it as I already have one just to round out my collection a bit.

lifeon2

Jan 19, 2012
denver co
Well as soon as I finished typing I recieved notification that my offer was accepted. PM me your address and I'll mail it out as soon as it arrives.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
To the OP - just curious.... what make you think people here wouldn't understand. That is very interesting.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Ah welcome to ebay sniping. As I always say if you can't beat them, join them. They have these web tools that will wait till the last 2 seconds and outbid the item you are bidding on - which is called ebay sniping.

fiawol

Lurker
Aug 16, 2013
Zonomo, to bee honest I meant it as if "people might not understand that I would be so worked up about such a pipe". Being that "the pipe" was an unsuccessful, or at the very least short lived, attempt at a"space age" pipe. I have heard that a lot of pipe smokers tend to have a low regard for this pipe for one reason or another. When everyone started commenting on the eBay part I was a little embarrassed because that wasn't what I intended but I did really enjoy all of what everyone wrote.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
fiawol, since you started with a basket pipe, you might want to spend some more time at the pipe shop, to give

you a hands-on idea about buying pipes -- a lot of window shopping (well, more inside at the pipe display).

This will give you a better idea about what you are looking at online. I think ebay is a really tricky way to buy

pipes until you have learned quite a bit -- about brands, about shapes, about all the details. I think it pays to

buy a few moderate priced new pipes successfully, to develop some know-how, before trying to buy estate pipes

(used pipes) but that's just me. Some members buy only estate pipes. In any case, you'll learn more and get

better results if you spend a lot of time getting to know pipes and tobacco between purchases, so this is enjoyable

and part of the hobby. (I grew a mustache in the Navy because it annoyed the officers so much, though the Navy

said I could, but I finally shaved it off -- it really made me look morose. Grew it again later in life, and when I

shaved it off, and waited several weeks, I finally had to take my wife out to supper to point out to her that it

was gone! Oh well.)

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
As a newbie to these forums I welcome all the advice put forth. I have a couple of Stanwells that I have had for 30-40 years... and a couple of cobs that I purchase recently.... I actually enjoy fondling them as much as smoking them.... each has it's own unique shape and texture..... and each has it's own taste. Pipes are a hobby/lifestyle that can be enjoyed at almost any age..... sit back relax and enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.