Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hello all, this week has been great for me as I've had boxes of estate pipes arrive every day thus far with yet more to come.
I have here four pipes that I can find no information about, all I do know is that they're all English made. Below are a few pictures in the hope someone might chime in with makers. I have checked WMTP and the usual web sources yet brawn blanks so any help would be much appreciated.
The first is a blasted acorn(?) stamped simply 'Made In England' with 'BX158'...
10x1-600x450.jpg

3x2-600x450.jpg

9x2-600x450.jpg

Second is a pot with gorgeous straight grain that with the flat saddle stem really does look like a Barling. It is stamped 'Agincourt' in script over 'Made In London' over 'England'...
imgp4911x-600x450.jpg

imgp4913x-600x450.jpg

And finally two blasted pipes from the same manufacturer, 'TYRO' and 'London, England' are the only markings...
9x3-600x450.jpg

4x2-600x450.jpg

7x1-600x450.jpg

Fingers crossed this end that the answer is out there somewhere :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.
PS: Needless to say, all the above pipes are as found and not worked on yet.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Mawnansmiff - I have no info on your pipes, but I really like your taste in shapes and textures. I have pipes that resemble these, but they are clearly marked and not the same makers. The top one looks just like a BBB that I have, except mine is black and has the BBB medallion on the stem and "Thorneycroft Own Make" clearly stamped on the bottom.
If you keep this up, I may become jealous. :)

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
The 158 pipe, I'm going to say Orlik. Is the B a B or a 8? From pipedia,
Models & Grades: Pre-Cadogan era

Captain Black Sandblast(Series Letter:BX)
see also,
orl21-451x600.jpg

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Docbob, as you requested here is another pic of the nomenclature this time taken with the Canon...
img_0010x-600x400.jpg

Mayfair, at the moment I have estates coming out of my ears :P
Dave, I gave it a quick wipe over and looked under my microscope, it's definitely a 'BX158' and I think you have it with your Orlik image (their 'egg' is my 'acorn')...well done my friend. One down and three to go!
BTW, a couple of recent refurbs going up in a moment.
Many thanks chaps for your input, onwards and upwards as they say :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

londonmake

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
I's guess that the Agincourt pipe is a Charatan sub-brand------looks like it to me because it resembles their large pot, even the flat saddle stem looks like Charatan.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Londonmake, many thanks for that. I did a quick Google search and it certainly does resemble a Charatan pot, I just have to wonder why it is not marked as such and why no one has heard of the Agincourt brand.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This sample of British estate pipes illustrates how bountiful the market for middle-grade moderately priced pipes was in the heyday of pipe smoking in England. The British estate pipes at smokingpipes.com regularly turns up off-brand pipes that are well made but not identifiable with any of the main makers. Some of these may have been seconds and house pipes of known makers without stamps, and others the product of smaller makers that haven't left much of a trail. Intriguing items.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nothing to add by way of illumination, but marking a pipe by "TYRO" is amusing - a tyro is a beginner, a rookie, at something.... No?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
How right you are MSO. It seems as though I have more than my share of such pipes.
Tyro meaning novice is quite correct, perhaps from a fledgling maker? Is that what you're suggesting John?
Regards,
Jay.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
quoteI's guess that the Agincourt pipe is a Charatan sub-brand------looks like it to me because it resembles their large pot, even the flat saddle stem looks like Charatan.

I think londonmake is correct. it is a Charatan second, but I do not think it is a catalogue shape. to me, this looks like a freehand which, due to flaws in the briar, has been 'worked at' to try to get it clean. the top of the bowl has been taken down and the shank's thickness has been reduced. I would suspect that the shank has a small filling somewhere and possible on the top of the bowl.Looking at the bowl again, I am convinced that this is a freehand pipe.

The Tyro I think was made in Italy (they used to put London on the shank which was legal!) possibly made at the Raganella/Solares factory.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Interesting thread.
I was guessing your "acorn" might've been a Stanwell, Jay, England stamp notwithstanding. The length and elegant lines were driving that bus, but Dave's Orlik shot killed that flight of fancy.
The Agincourt reminded me of several of my GBD second pots. Thank you for weighing in, Kenbarnes.
Why do you associate the Tyro with an Italian factory?
I'm not calling you out, friend. I just want to learn.
Fnord

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Hi Ken, thanks for your input. If anyone knows the Charatan brand it is of course yourself.
I like Fnord wonder how you came up with Italy for the Tyro pipes. Also, how could it be legal to make a pipe in Italy (or anywhere else for that matter) yet stamp it with London, England? Seems both unfair and wrong to me.
Regards,
Jay.
PS: There are no pits or fills on the Agincourt pipe, just lovely straight & flame grain.

kenbarnes

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2015
The Tyro pipe just reminds me of Raganella and how they carved the bowl and after the mouthpiece was frazed, they would use a thickish twist drill and run it up and down the shank like that without giving too much thought about blending it to the existing type of carving. It was just a thought.

In those days any pipe could have S..... of London,England or S........ London,England but they could not put 'made in' on the shank.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks for the clarification Ken, as ever the 'man in the know' :worship:
I was of the assumption they were pukka sandblasts...learn something new every day here.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.