PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I hate them...My wife likes them though.Most times she goes by herself.Now and then though just to be a good husband I go with her.Today was one of those days.We pulled up in front of a house.I noticed a fellow sitting in a chair smoking a pipe.The few times that I meet someone smoking a pipe here in Carolina they're smoking something like Carter Hall in a Grabow.To my suprise this fellow was smoking a Petersen.He told me that he quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago and bought a cheap pipe.It burned him..A friend told him to get the Petersen.He liked it so well that he bought 2 more.This just re-enforces my feeling that good quality pipes really do give a better smoke...No intent here to offend those who smoke Carter Hall in a Grabow.It's just not my cup of tea.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
I think the answer is quality workmanship at a good price. You can find it in Petersons for sure, but you can also find it in MM cobs and if you know what to look for, in briar 'basket pipes'.
I am glad the gentleman you met found his sweet spot and even more so that two pipers were able to meet and share a love we all have. Maybe a little more quality time with your wife is just the thing. 8)

bwithers55

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 17, 2012
I confess to sharing a prejudice against Grabows. I do smoke pipes for less than fifteen bux that I find on eBay.
Best Wishes,

Bill Withers

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No intent here to offend those who smoke Carter Hall in a Grabow.

As I sit here,smoking Carter Hall in a Grabow,I'm not sure how to take this. It Kinda sounds like maybe you're saying that those of us who do smoke Carter Hall in a Grabow just don't know any better. Guess I'm just not smart enough to realize I should be smoking some Old Gowrie ,or perhaps the Solani Aged Burley Flake in that Dunhill that's setting in the racks. I truly didn't realize that you cannot possibly enjoy Carter Hall in a Grabow.
It also sounds as if you'd rather not meet those who do smoke Carter Hall in a Grabow.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
I used Carter Hall in a Grabow as an example of what the pipe smoker that I usually meet im my area smokes.My grandfather smoked Prince Albert in a Yellow Bowl.One of my best friends smoked Velvet in a Grabow.I have respect for all pipe smokers.I believe everyone should smoke what they like..All I ment to say is that I really can't discuss some things about pipe smoking with some pipe smokers that I meet because they don't seem to understand why I choose to spend a bit more money on it.It was nice to meet someone who did.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
You'll find that there are some snobbish opinions in any hobby. I fly fish and I hear people bashing certain fly rod brands etc. meanwhile these people usually can't cast a line more than 30' with their $850 rods. For me it's about what one enjoys. I could smoke CH in a Grabow all day long and be happy if that's what I chose to do. The folks that do stay within those boundaries have probably forgotten more about pipesmoking than most of us know, collectively. I just love meeting others that enjoy the pipe and with every encounter, I learn something.

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
I like my grabow's but I really thought I stepped up with my antique store Kaywoodie cool sip, I looooove that thing! Admittedly as of late my Nording and my 3 Pete's are getting most of my attention just for the sheer fact that my newbie blazoned tongue found refuge first in a longer meerschaum and than in a Peterson 303. My Nording smokes hotter than any of the petes but does not give tongue bit unless you heave on it which I don't do anyway. Sip sip sip. Grabow's, Kaywoodie, Magic Inch, some random no name, a Lucienne, two meerschaums, a Nording and a few petes.

10441956_10152120053391712_2249929970811500821_n.jpg

10406663_10152120230531712_435916113972566953_n.jpg

carlweis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 7, 2014
Oh and I have a huge bog of Carter Hall sitting on my desk! That's some good smoke!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Ed I"ll meet em all, like what you do and do what you like. Reminds me when I was called to help guide out of state duck hunters. They came with fancy shotguns, beautiful clothes, TBrad had old blue jeans, patched waders, old Model 12, by the second day they all wanted to go with that short little coonass. Treat your equipment right and it will do the job. Puffy I know you didn't mean anything by that remark , all your posts have a kindness in them. Ed I"m gonna smoke some Carter Hall in my S Bang and watch it squirm. :rofl:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
LMAO!!!!
"Ed, I"m gonna smoke some Carter Hall in my S Bang and watch it squirm."
Bradley, for me you and Ed are the heart and soul of this forum - our resident Rabbi is right up there as well. And I'll be more than happy to witness to the kindness and gentlemanly ways of Puffy's posts. (Puffy is a mensch. Full stop.)
Keep on puffing, Carlweis. The journey is the reward.
Fnord

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'd never let go of my grandpa's WWII stuff. I ended up with his ribbon rack, medals, helmet, garrison cap and insignia. But my favorite pieces handed down to me were a Nazi hat insignia and a Nazi cigarette case.
That's all history.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having lived in N.C. for most of my working life, I have a certain loyalty to Dr. Grabow, especially the Royalton,

made in Sparta, N.C., up near the Virginia line. And I like the occasional over the counter tobacco, including

Granger and Carter Hall. That's not all I smoke, pipe nor tobacco, but when its turn comes around, it can be

as good as any. Like the old country tune, "After you been eatin' steak a long time/Beans taste fine."

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I have a confession to make........ I have never seen a grabow and no where in my city sells Carter Hall. I feel so left out.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Back to the yard sales. I once found a beat up old Smokemaster at one for a buck! Seems like I reworked the stem to use in a Medico. And I never met another pipe smoker at a yard sale,or flea market,gas station,drug store or......

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm going to buy a Peterson later this summer. All I can say is that if it isn't significantly better than my $1.00 Silver Duke I'm going to send it back!

Status
Not open for further replies.