PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
This one was very reasonably priced for a Yanik...that combined with March Meerschaum Madness, now it's headed my way.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.png

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's quite a carving of a parrot. The feathers are amazing. Some people don't realize that parrots as pets can live up to 80 years or more, so people have to arrange for their continuing care after they are gone in many cases. I think they have one of the longer lifespans of living creatures. They might be outlived by some of the tortoise species that can live beyond 100. Maybe there are some bacteria and viruses that go dormant, but it is disputable whether that is a lifespan or just dormancy. The parrots and tortoises are alive and moving (slowly in the case of the tortoise) for their entire lives. Some long-lived birds remain fertile into advanced age. There is a Layman Albatross who nests annually on Midway Island, a female, who is still laying eggs and hatching chicks at 70. Smoke that pipe and plan for an advanced old age.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
So absurd, it's cool.
That's it exactly. My immediate impression was the absurdity of it, and then very quickly started loving it (plus like I said, I was surprised at the relatively low price).

I've got more than enough classic shapes, and now I'm in a phase where I'm really attracted to some of these elaborate creations. Yanik's seem to be in a category all their own.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Friends who've had a companion parrot for about thirty years had it looked at by a bird expert vet to discover that Charley is actually Charlene, that is, female. It is hard to sex birds. A guy who'd grown up on a farm once insisted our kitten was female, but I thought otherwise ... and I was right! The birds don't seem to have any trouble differentiating to judge by the number of chicks they hatch. At least roosters and hens are easy to spot, as are many species of songbirds.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
That is truly an amazing sculpture, which just happens to be a pipe. I couldn't bring myself to smoke it!
I have 3 of his now, and they are pipes I reserve for end of the day when I have the chance to just sit still and relax and hold a pipe while smoking and not needing to do or focus on anything else. A distinctly different experience than clenching a pipe during the day while working or distracted by this or that.

• Love
Reactions: dunnyboy

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have 3 of his now, and they are pipes I reserve for end of the day when I have the chance to just sit still and relax and hold a pipe while smoking and not needing to do or focus on anything else. A distinctly different experience than clenching a pipe during the day while working or distracted by this or that.
Perfect pipe for relaxing, quiet contemplation, and enjoyment.

• Love
Reactions: brian64