Would Latakia Heavy Blends Be Worth Stockpiling Now?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You won't regret that one. A very nicely priced Oriental forward blend.
Annnnd wouldn't you know, everyone is out except for a couple places that have at about $40/pound. Still not a bad price. Might wait and see if it pops back up at SP's before I buy some. Based on the recommendations and the reviews, I think I'll just go ahead buy a pound. Can't hurt, plus it's cheap enough.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
+1 on Balkan Supreme. I have a couple pounds and It ages great. If you have any affinity towards orientals, do it! Do it now!

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Balkan Supreme is in stock at 4noggins for $35 and change per pound
I always forget about them. The last few times I was looking for something and they had it, I balked at the prices. Thanks for that. I just purchased a pound of it and now it should be here sometime this week, hopefully. Then I can get acquainted with it and pack some away for long term storage.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
+1 on Balkan Supreme. I have a couple pounds and It ages great. If you have any affinity towards orientals, do it! Do it now!
Good to know. My supply of Balkan Supreme is all about two years old, so it hasn't had much time to show how it holds up in the cellar.
I always forget about them. The last few times I was looking for something and they had it, I balked at the prices. Thanks for that. I just purchased a pound of it and now it should be here sometime this week, hopefully. Then I can get acquainted with it and pack some away for long term storage
You're welcome! Let us know how you like it :puffy:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You're welcome! Let us know how you like it :puffy:
Will do! If it's as good as the reviews I have read say it is and I like it enough to make it one of my go to smokes, I may order even more. Was a little careful not to order 5 pounds of it....yet. I'll see how this first pound goes and then take it from there. :puffy:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
It is a well known fact that once you hit 4 years, 6 months and 20 days of pipe smoking, you will lose your taste for anything Latakia. It has happened to thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of us. I wouldn't go stocking up on to many English blends when down the road all you are going to want to smoke is Captain Black Grape.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I wouldn't go stocking up on to many English blends when down the road all you are going to want to smoke is Captain Black Grape.
Hahahahahahahaha, that's the funniest thing I read all day! Thanks for that one, Harris. :rofl:
I can't think of a worse thing to smoke than CBG! If it gets that far, I'll just quit!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Strangely, eleven of eighteen Esoterica blends on TR are scored 2-3 stars. CBG scored 2.1. :mrgreen:

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I'm in a vaping phase right now since I quit smoking cigarettes but i would definitely cellar any blend that you enjoy. I know it's a fault but I don't plan my pipe smoking 20 years in advance. I don't expect tobacco to go anywhere in that time frame.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
You've obviously never smoked Holly's Non Plus Ultra.
Nope. After looking it up on TR's, I don't think I'd ever want to either, especially based on one or two reviews:
This was so bad I thought it had spoiled (I'm not even sure if tobacco can spoil in the same way milk does, but if it can here is the proof). It was so bad I went online and ordered another tin from a different retailer; and guess what? Spoiled milk again. The only positive thing I can say about Non Plus is it is consistently nasty, fowl and vomit like in flavor. I am a big fan of Dan Tobacco's products and was horrified that this product bore their name. Please, no really please, try one of their other excellent blends and skip this one.
And this one, right to the point:
The lowest circle of piper's hell: This stuff tastes like perfume smells.
Eewww, no thank you.
Strangely, eleven of eighteen Esoterica blends on TR are scored 2-3 stars. CBG scored 2.1. :mrgreen:
Always been surprised by that. A few of the blends I have tried and enjoyed rather emmensly had a lot lower reviews that I thought they would. Just goes to show I can't trust all reviews!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Nope. After looking it up on TR's, I don't think I'd ever want to either, especially based on one or two reviews:
I did. My pipe screamed before bursting into flame and exploding. Terrible stuff.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
I love BS but my last bit came bone dry from an online site and it is as exciting as a mouse fart, I have to get around to rehydrating it. Was bummed.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
It's worth a shot cellaring the blends that I love now because who knows how long they will be around. I'd rather be slightly disappointed in how a blend aged than not having a tin to pop when I want to. If you buy enough to keep even occasionally in your rotation you will be able to monitor how the blend is aging. I'll take the chance.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It's worth a shot cellaring the blends that I love now because who knows how long they will be around.
That's a good point. I remember falling in love with Mephisto years ago only to have it vanish. That's actually what started my hoarding.

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
It's worth a shot cellaring the blends that I love now because who knows how long they will be around.

I 2nd this and it was McClelland that started my hoarding...Just ordered Plum Pudding, Father Dempsey and Maltese Falcon (B&M that get a few tins at times).

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I have 2 lbs of Balkan Supreme that's coming up on 6 years of age. I bought it just before I lost my taste for Latakia. I'm starting to enjoy moderate amounts of Lat again, so some day, I'll open a jar.
There's always a measure of risk involved in cellaring. You may find that blends that you like lose their appeal a few years down the road. But you will have something to trade, so there's that. You may also just burn out on smoking, or fall off the twig sooner than expected, so be sure to leave instructions for your beneficiaries so that your $20,000 cellar doesn't wind up gracing a dumpster.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, well I do plan on stocking up on other items as well. I just wondered if the lat blends would hold up well over time. After several other replies, I'm starting to not care as much. I reckon in the end, I'd rather have a blend with a latakia that's softened over time, than none of it at all.
I'm going to be looking for things I can stock up on in bulk that might go away first, before I buy more tins. Tins will hold there own, providing they're sealed well.
Most of the latakia blends I've developed a fondness for, don't seem to be available in a bulk form. All of the ones I've tried and really like are only available in tins. Is there a reason that a lot of good heavier latakia blends don't come in bulk form? I mean, I know Duane has said before that Black Frigate could be purchased in larger quantities. I wonder why the change? Was it a drop off in sold product?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
lowest circle of piper's hell: This stuff tastes like perfume smells.
pipe screamed before bursting into flame and exploding. Terrible stuff.
Wasn't gonna, & based on the above, well, Deckard (Blade Runner) says it all: "I was quit when I come in here, Bryant, I'm twice as quit now."

Status
Not open for further replies.