PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
The work bench is evolving. This is a hobby in itself. I spent almost a year after my back surgery, collecting Unimat parts and Dental Engines.

Here is the current state of the bench. Next I need more light, some organization of the power cords and to find the rest of my 'support' tools for the lathe and dental engine. The dental engine is a perfect hobby tool. Very controllable, and not really too expensive. And, they are just plain cool.
37313835546_8cd4f85b0d_z_d.jpg

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I haven't seen one of those "dental engines" for a very long time. The dentist that I had as a kid used one on me. He was also really stingy with the Novocaine.
I have an old Foredom flex-shaft tool. They are useful!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Great start and nice set up. It’s amazing all the things you accumulate after doing a few refurbs.
They have 3ft florescence lights at Walmart for $15.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I have a 24" florescent fixture to mount over the bench. But, I am moving to LED lights for everything now. They are finally becoming affordable. The dirty work, buffing and sanding and whatnot will be done out in the garage after I get that part set up.
The dental engine is a rotary tool, but I find them to be much more controllable than a Dremel. The hand piece fits the hand better too. LOTS of little drills and burrs are available on ebay, cheaper than dremel stuff too.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Yes, speed controllers. I got them from Harbor Freight, but they are a standard item. The same one is on the motor I bought for the Unimat.
I actually got that Unimat base from a friend on another forum. The base and headstock are about the only original parts on that one. I bought most of the rest of my four machines or so, from ebay. I just kept watching for good deals on 'dead' machines and parts. There is also a really good supplier of parts online.
If you don't like the Dremel for it's lack of controllability issues, I bet you will LOVE a dental engine. Again, watch ebay for good deals. I stalked those machines for months, finally getting four of those too. Hand pieces are normally to be had cheap. Six or seven bucks will buy one. Cutters and other tools are also available online from lots of sources. (Or your dentist)

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Toms Tool Store is the online source I use. Very good to deal with.
http://www.tomstoolstore.com/

cwarmouth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2017
I'm going to show my ignorance here and ask what these tools will be used for.
On a side note,I sympathise with you on the back surgery. I just had it 3 weeks ago myself. The only positive side to it is that I finally have time to dig out some old junk pipes I've been meaning to get to someday and do some refurbishing. That's fun.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I finally have time to dig out some old junk pipes I've been meaning to get to someday and do some refurbishing. That's fun.
And very addictive! :mrgreen:

vokaa

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2017
One of the many things I'm excited for when I move out is to have a woodwork setup like yours!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I hope to use the little lathe to make and modify stems. The dental tool is a great wood working tool, and as such may get use in rusticating some old pipes just for fun. I haven't had time to get back to the green stem that is in the lathe. The house projects are taking precedence now, but I will get back to it. Must drill the draft hole. In order to do that on this machine, I need to find the extended bed ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.