PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Another phrase that has come to irritate me is "please advise" as in "My computer crashed, please advise".
"Reinstall operating system. Will take two to four working days."

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Doc, I feel like you might find this interesting.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/opinion/sunday/stop-saying-i-feel-like.html?_r=2

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
F-bomb, f-you, f'd up, etc., either say the word or don't, but don't try to curse without cursing, it just makes you sound like you need permission to curse...grow up!

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I'm with mso, anything starting with "So...". Not sure where it came from, but it seems recent. Some even start posts with it. Why? I have no idea. "So I went to my local B and M to buy some pipe cleaners...". I think every response should simply be So?.
Literally is another that makes people seem not very bright. In the UK, At the end of the day gets on my nerves.

kyrob

Might Stick Around
Apr 15, 2011
When someone overuses the word "truly" as if qualifying what they are saying is extra honest by the inclusion of the word.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
"To be honest with you,..." Had a boss eons ago who used that. Certainly he was dishonest in many of his other communications.
Bespoke is a perfect word for very limited situations. How it's now entered the US coinage is beyond me. Who can give the most extreme example of its misuse?

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
The word "child"
In the music world - "Look in the mirror and what do you see" (over used lyric)
In the Theological world - "Sovereign grace" and "Repent of your Sins" (never used once in the KJV bible but used like they were)

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Jesus Our Lord
Jesus Lord God
In Jesus's sweet name
....Proof that Paul is still mind screwing the public.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Closure" in relation to some sort of resolution of ones grieving for someone who has died. You might have worked through your grief, but I doubt people achieve closure, or that they would want to. The departed often play an active role in our lives and should.
perdurbo, I take your point, but getting into religious doctrine the discussion could go on forever. But it happens that I too have reservations about Paul's role in the church. He rode away from the Sermon on the Mount in a big hurry, so to speak.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Spoiler alert" still has its meaning but is getting threadbare. And it is as if giving away plot points is the key to any drama. Nonsense. Only in dramas where the plot is the only feature. Many of Shakespeare's plays pretty much give the plot outline at the beginning, and the interest is in watching the narrative unfold and the characters develop. Plot is the key to punchlines in jokes and in children's books, but shouldn't play big in adult drama and fiction. Tell me how it ends. So what?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tuold, yes, I think "that begs the question" is so wrongly and overused, it has no meaning. The context usually changes the meaning so it is meaningless. Maybe some who use it mean, "now I have to ask the question ..." but it's all lost in the fog.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"At this point in time." Unless otherwise specified, I'd assume you are talking in the present. If you are referring to a previous or future date, give that.
"I'm going to be honest with you," "let me be honest," raise suspicions that much of what you have said and will say is definitely less than honest, perhaps total prevarication.
In order to avoid saying "um," "actually," or some other time killer, JFK used to say "Let me say this about that." Pure pap, but at least he made up his own time killer. It illustrates that our culture has forbidden the pause to think. Among some Native American tribal nations, it was a requirement to pause before speaking to show that you were thinking over what others had said, so the pause wasn't giving up the podium or failing to respond, but a simple responsibility. Obviously, they were intelligent in a way that our culture is not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I accept the old blues opening line, "I got up this morning," even though it is hopelessly overused, the same way I accept "Once upon a time...."

Status
Not open for further replies.