PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Married the first time for 25 years. Way too long! Married this time for 5 years. Not nearly long enough! I like what I like. She likes what she likes. Fortunately we like each other.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
As radio and wilson pointed out, the real issue is the ultimatum. I'd sprint away from this one. You want a woman who you can be in a relationship with, not one who is a dictator.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good post rondyr. I think you made the right decision. I started smoking a pipe late in life (tho I smoked other things, incl. cigarettes over the course of my life). My wife and I have been married for 23 years and she knew I was a smoker deep down, so when I took up the pipe, she had no objections.
She doesn't like the smell most times, but is completely tolerant. She also sees how good it has been for me, so I consider myself very lucky indeed. :puffy:

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
When we were dating, my wife gave me a pipe and some tobacco for Christmas. The tobacco was an aromatic that she thought smelled good. The taste... well, not so much. The pipe was inexpensive and Hell itself could not have been hotter. Still, it was the thought that counted and since she was also the best looking woman I ever laid my eyes on I married her.
And by the way, after 14-years of marriage she still has never even hinted that she doesn't want me to smoke my pipe in the house, much less thought to TELL ME that I can't. I only smoke in the living room while reading or watching TV. She enjoys seeing me enjoy my pipes and even likes the smell of tobacco. Am I in Heaven on earth with that lady? You bet!
Best,

Pipestud

Dec 24, 2012
The pipe was inexpensive and Hell itself could not have been hotter.
I had a similar experience Pipestud. The wife bought me a pipe when I first started out. Holding that pipe was like cupping satan's testicles. I pretended to love that pipe for awhile, until I finally told her that if she wanted some pipe ideas I would send her links. She said she couldn't believe how much the pipes I sent her links for cost - "but, it's just a piece of wood", she said. I told her I feel the same way about her shoe and purse collection. That did the trick. Now she just buys the pipe I send her links for and shuts up.
Ah, women, you can't live with 'em and you can't live with 'em.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
cupping satan's testicles
That is frickin hilarious, never heard that one before.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
I use a very similar approach as peckins when getting the wife to get onboard during another pipe commissioning. I don't say sh!t when another pair Jimmy Choo shoes show up nor do I roll my eyes when a must have Louis Vuitton hand bag gets delivered. I expect the same in return and receive the same "understanding" when a new PAD/TAD shows up at the door. Common ground is the key here I believe. :puffy:

Aug 14, 2012
Jud: Thanks for posting the full text. That Kipling poem has always been one of my favorites. "A woman is only a woman but a good cigar is a smoke." A little sexist, but it keeps the priorities straight. Some of you guys who have problems with the wives might want to post the poem on the refrigerator. Mine couldn't stand it in here. I told her "get used to it or leave." So she bought her own place and we are dating now. And she has her own pipe. LOL

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I was dating a nice young woman for a few years. She was a vegetarian and that did not bother me. Then she wanted to move in together. She told me if I wanted to cook meat in the house I would need to give her three days notice and she wanted separate silverware for meat eaters. I would also have to give up fishing. I hit the road jack!
A few months later I was engaged to some one who accepted me for who I am. We just celebrated ten years together! Two years ago she got a nice bonus at work and bought me a boat so i could take our son fishing! Last year she gave me our second son. I could not be happier.
Hold out for "The One" brother. She is out there, and when you find her, put a ring on her finger.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I don't say sh!t when another pair Jimmy Choo shoes show up
props to you for even know who Jimmy Choo is, much less being able to afford them. A nice Dunhill ought to balance that one out.... cheers.

mustanggt

Dec 6, 2012
I was given some very good advice once. Unfortunately I didn't get it till after my first two marriages ended. Here it is: Go into your dating relationship with both eyes wide open. After you get married, close one eye. Today after 5+ years together my 3rd and final wife is the best there ever could be for me, except her pipe buying skills are very weak. She was out of town one weekend and came home with a surprise. I eagerly opened the gift and lo and behold they were glass crack pipes she got at Pike Place Market in Seattle. The man assured her that they were great tobacco pipes and that is what they were for. I laugh and told her what they were and she was beside herself of feeling stupid. I told her that was alright and that I appreciated her thinking of me like that. We laugh still to this day about it and enjoy the memory. She now knows I'm pretty picky about certain things and that I'll take care of those things. She is very thoughtful and takes good care of me.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
If this gal was going to control your pipe smoking, what next? At least she was honest and gave you a clue of things to come.
My wife is extremely rare, short of murder she supports everything I want to do. When something flops she never points a finger. This trait comes with age, when she was younger, she wasn't quite so mellow.
My advice, marry a 60+ year old woman.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Mine smokes a pipe herself, she smokes more than me.
Foggy, I think of a story a fella told me once. He runs a pipe and cigar shop in Spring Texas. I bought a tim of tobacco from him and sat down on a couch to try it because it was a new to me blend that he recommended. He sat down in the easy chair across from me and took a pipe out and lit it upand began his tory. He said an old friend gave him that pipe, he was a regular customer who when he couldnt get out and about very easily, he would deliver his orders to him. Then one day he dropped by the old fellas place to deliver some toby and pipe cleaners the old fella asked him to come in and sit for a while. The old man new he was going to die soon so he gave the man one of his very nice pipes.

The point of my story Foggy, is that you have some close friends who will cherrish any of your pipes that you leave them. I think that your beloved friends and family would be honored to have such a personal gift from someone they respect and love. While ya take one or two with ya, should leave the others to those who you are close to as a memorial. I am very sure that even if they dont smoke those pipes they will set on a mantel reminding the new owner of the relationship you had with them.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I get by because I and Mrs. Cortez, aka. Shoe Lady, have this ongoing agreement. :wink:

Chineserestroomsigns.jpg

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Wimmin, can't live with 'em, house is dirty, laundry doesn't get done and you don't eat well without 'em. 8:19

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Beware the woman that wants you to give up things that are meaningful to you. Look for the woman that holds dear that which is meaningful to you. Then reciprocate right back to her.

Status
Not open for further replies.