PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scoboypipe

Lurker
Jul 2, 2018
Ontario Canada
Hello all,

I was doing some typical pipe multitasking, which is of course smoking (in this case some Irish flake) and letting your mind wander and I had a thought; does anyone pack a little lighter in anticipation of using a wind cap?

I exclusively smoke outdoors so I use a wind cap for just about every smoke and have this never given it much thought (which I'm assuming is going to be the most common answer). I'd imagine that a wind screen would increase the overall resistance of the pipe, albeit seemingly in a very small way, and this my mind did wander.

Thus I came to ask the collective pipe-mind if you will.

Edit: I accidentally hit post when I went to edit a spelling mistake mid-sentence.
Edit 2: spelling and grammar

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have never owned a wind cap. If I was smoking outside it would be in a light breeze. I wouldn't smoke my pipe outside in a strong wind as I was paranoid the pipe would get too hot and cause a burnout. I clench almost all the time so by the time I realized the pipe was burning way too hot it might be too late. Would a wind cap protect the pipe in a strong wind?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No, a wind cap is useless over about 15-20 Kts.

What folks can do when the breeze starts, er, "freshening" is clap a match book** over the rim and carry on. You don't even need to remove it when taking a draw; just loosen the clamp and smoke away.

** Doubtless there are many better "caps"- a piece of leather, cork, wood, etc. cut in a disk. And if the pipe has a layer of ash, it's probably not too hot for the hand.

HTH

Reactions: sandollars