PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
I don't see much value in the straw man argument regarding head trauma caused by falling off a bike, etc.
What we're talking about is a virtual guarantee that if you participate in football, you'll end up with a degenerative neurological disorder due to repeated trauma. The jury isn't really out on this one, regardless of how "narrow" you feel the scope of this particular study is.
The CTE study has to be focused on dead athletes unfortunately, as it's currently the only way to diagnose it. 99/100 or so is fairly definitive I'd say.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Tom, it's no straw man, it's how reports and studies go. Unfortunately the pool of cadavers is too narrow. They need to compare know ordinary people with hyper accurate medical records to validate the study.
I'm not doubting CTE, I'm just stating what the opposing research/study needs. If we're going to use science, then it needs to be science and not emotion.
I find it real disheartening how disparaging you folks are about the intellect or lack thereof of athletes.
But it appears pomposity and arrogance are in fashion.

May 4, 2015
^ I'm not commenting about the intelligence of athletes at all, so I'm hoping that wasn't directed at me!
I agree, the entire situation requires further study - clearly. I read in one article that one of the researchers noted that families wouldn't have sent brains in unless their deceased love ones were symptomatic, so it's not a perfect study by any means. It does have value in a lot of other ways, though.
It just seems like the conclusion is fairly clear that repeated concussions are bad. And they happen, and have happened, quite a lot in football. My curiosity is really how long "football" will continue to exist as we know it.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I suffered a serious head trauma in my youth. I was out for three days. It was caused by falling off a bicycle.

May 4, 2015
I obviously didn't say you couldn't get injured another way. We're talking about repeated head trauma. Like the kind you'd get smashing into another human being thousands of times.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Eh, it was probably me, Tom. I'm the one who threw out the "dumb jocks" thing. I know it's playing into a stereotype, and that there are plenty of exceptions, and I should keep that in mind. But I do have to say, listening to a lot of the current NFLers doesn't give the impression that they emptied out the Neurology Department at Cedars-Sinai to put together a squad.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I think football will eventually change. I know there are many ways to hammer your brain and that all of life is risk. But NFL football seems to invite that risk and in the end it will be poor folks, from some sort of Minor League who will destroy their brains for large amounts of money.....and my enjoyment.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The equipment will change of course. Rules will change also. Football will continue to morph until an acceptable level of risk/reward is reached and the risks are fully understood. The players have outgrown the game as originally played. The hard helmet created a new weapon, the head spear and head slaps damaged hearing. Today's players are big and fast, very fast. If you ever get a chance to watch a pro game at field level, on the sidelines, you will be amazed by the speed and the sounds of the hits. TV does not do the game justice with regard to what's occurring on the field.
We also live in a changing world where people are allowed to assist others to kill themselves and it's socially acceptable by many, even promoted by the state. It's also peopled by individuals, some of whom enjoy risky behavior, physical challenge, etc. People who live for the adrenaline rush. Should that be taken away from them? Kinda like banning smoking from people who have weighed the risks and decided to adopt such behavior in spite of the risks. Even those so embarrassed by their choice they feel the need to lie to others about their lifestyle. Some people enjoy beating other people up legally. Some even take the risk of taking body changing drugs which have been proven to reduce life spans, muddle the brain and, most importantly, alter one's wedding tackle.
So, once the risks are identified and mitigated, as much as possible, why should I wish to deny a person great wealth should they decide the results out weigh the known risks? And, why deny people the ability to spend monies watching those people take those risks? I'm not one, not any longer at least, to deny people risky activities which they enjoy.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Warren I agree that, once all the risks are on the table, adults should be allowed to beat the hell out of each other. What I don't agree with is letting children accumulate head trauma in this manner. This head trauma is 100% preventable and therefore will soon go away at the grade school and high school level, along with headers in soccer, at least in the form we currently have them.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I wonder if they measured any of the jocks brains before they played football. That wasn't nice...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Yes, it'll be much different at the younger levels, more skills teaching than playing, less physical contact, speeds will be reduced through rules changes, etc. There will still be parents who will allow, even encourage, their children to go out and learn the skills, take the bumps/bruises/injuries and enjoy the competition.
The NFL will not lack for contract employees. Unless government decides to step in and take control. Then we will be stuck with players who must get 30mpPED, can't smoke, wear seat belts, helmet ownership will require a background check, shoulder pads can't be concealed with out a local permit, jerseys will be airbag equipped, fan football jerseys will not be allowed in public building, ad absurdum.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Me too! Anyone need zucchini or cucumbers, btw? We have... a lot of them.
Tried some Carolina Reapers this year. DO NOT touch the plants or peppers bare handed!

May 4, 2015
If you have enough, you should send me a couple Reapers! I'll video myself eating them and become an internet star!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My cynical answer: it depends on whether sports keep earning big money.
People seem to want authenticity these days, and rock concerts, big sports leagues and mass-culture entertainment do not seem to be offering it.
If people keep buying the tickets, my guess is that mso489 is right and they will begin to change the sport. Small modifications will come first, like more padding or rules about how others can be hit.
Simultaneously, there will be a push to figure out how to end these brain injuries. That may dovetail with military needs, since now that we can save people from many battle injuries, they are suffering from the concussive force of high explosives.
But in the meantime, it seems wise to me to keep the kids from engaging in sports that will cause them brain damage.
C.E., the only thing I've found to get the capsaicin-bearing oils off the hands is rubbing alcohol. The contents of your jar might work. Helps to wash them thoroughly with a powerful degreaser like Palmolive afterwards.

May 4, 2015
I always handle peppers with latex gloves. We always have plenty around because we feed our dog nothing but raw chicken and pork and we use the gloves to prep his food.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Lucky dog. Hint for those with modest supplies: a plastic ziploc-type bag over your hands will do almost as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.