PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am sure some of you are wondering what the hell is with all of us guys who keep buying Rad Davis pipes. I will try to explain it for you. I have smoked some very expensive pipes over the years such as Former, Rainer Barbi, Peter Matzhold, Kurt Balleby, high end Castello's, high end Winslows and not a one has smoked better than my Rad's and in almost every instance not as good. Rad's pipes sell for a third of most of those mentioned. Not once with the 15 Rad's I own have I ever needed to use a pipe cleaner to soak up excess moisture, not once has a pipe gurgled and I live in Florida. His ability to make a group 5 pipe that weighs 40 grams is amazing. The briar he uses smokes cool and dry and his stem work is second to none. They are without a doubt the most comfortable stems I have ever put in my mouth. His attention to detail is amazing and his pipes represent the best value in artisan pipes on market.
The fact that his blast work is amazing and his use of exotic woods to accent his pipes is a bonus. If you ever get a chance to smoke one of his pipes you will understand why so many of us go nuts over his work. The fact that he is a nice guy and a pleasure to do business with is really secondary, if Lucifer made pipes like Rad, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them. Once you have smoked a Rad Davis pipe, it will make the rest of your pipes seem second tier, which is why people can never settle for just one Rad. I hope this explains the Rad mania that is currently happening on this and other sites on the web.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Do you think Rad gets his wood from the same source as Tinsky?

I've noticed that Tinsky's pipes produce an incomparable smoke.

I don't yet own a Rad. I guess I'll have to commission one soon.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Cortez, I honestly don't know they might get it from the same source but there are different grades so Rad may pay 60 for a block where as Tinsky pays 30. I do know that Rad does a lot of of the blast work for Tinsky along with Michael Linder.

Jul 12, 2011
I for one love his blast work and will own several of his works

of art; tested and approved by Harris & others /so we are good

to go! ;-)

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Spot on comments Harris. Once that first pipe is acquired, it is inevitable that one will fall into the throes of Rad PAD!

Dec 24, 2012
. . . this message was brought to you by The Committee for the Canonization of Rad Davis . . .
seriously though, I agree with everything you guys said . . .

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Since I've subscribed to Rad's email list, I have noticed that his pipes usually sell the same day as he posts them. Most times the pipes he posts are sold before I have the chance to read his emails. I figured I'd get one before he raises prices and sells them in two days instead of one.
My first commissioned pipe was from Rad and I couldn't be happier.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Mike, great post. The fact that you recognize what kind of value you get with a Rad, means a lot. You certainly have way more experience than I do in terms of the numbers of pipes you have seen and smoked.
serge, I have noticed that his sandblasted pipes usually sell within minutes and his smooths take more time. When I first began getting his emails the blasted pipes would maybe last a few hours but not now, you have to be real quick on the trigger these days. It is a testament to the quality and value that Rad gives on every pipe. Some day down the road, I look forward to buying a few smooth ones.

Aug 14, 2012
Prices have already gone up, and will go up more. It is one of the few brands of things which will see higher prices used, in about 20 years, than they go for now, new. Other such products were Leica and Nikon film cameras. The reason for no gurgle is that Rad drills a wider draft hole. I agree that the briar is top rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.