PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Yeah, you put in a VaPer like Victorian Match, it’s amazing how dark the puck comes out. I think it’s in part from the Perique juices staining the rest of the tobaccos. It makes for an amazing, funky VaPer.

benhughes2

Lurker
Jun 8, 2019
Can someone explain why the tobacco tastes sweet after pressing? Sutliff rvr tastes like tobacco then afterwards it doesn’t. What’s up with that?

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Can someone explain why the tobacco tastes sweet after pressing? Sutliff rvr tastes like tobacco then afterwards it doesn’t. What’s up with that?

Never really experienced something that dramatic so I can’t comment. Pressing usually dampens the high notes and increases the base notes. It also marries the wonderful oils found in each varietal so they come together as one.

benhughes2

Lurker
Jun 8, 2019
I don’t go to the lengths some of you do. I just cram as much as I can into a 1x2 inch plastic bag and crank it down in a carpenters vise until it just won’t compress anymore. Leave it for 15 minutes and it comes out sticky and sweet and slightly darker. No heat is involved, so it’s not quite cavendish. I don’t know what to call it.

Jan 8, 2013
You all won’t regret it
I reckon I probably wont. I had been wanting to press some of my own blends for quite some time, and had almost considered one of those pollen presses a while back, but opted out as I wanted something with a larger diameter. When I saw the pasta press a week or so past, I thought it would be just about perfect. I put my order in tonight (this morning rather).

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Ben - how did your Suttliff red VA ribbon taste after you pressed it compared to Suttliff Crumble Cake Red VA?

Jan 8, 2013
I got my press a few days ago, and immediately put it to use with a brand new blend. I mixed up some Black Stoved Virginia, with Lane BCA, Perique, and Latakia. I do have unflavored black cavendish, but BCA seemed like a good idea at the time. After getting it all mixed up well, I dumped in some Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum, mixed it up really well, and let it dry for a bit on parchment paper. And then into the spaghetti tobacco press it went. Tightened it down. And then tightened it a little more over the last couple days. Today, I opened it up and I'm very pleased. It's not a lat bomb, only 5 out of 52 grams is Latakia, but it has a magnificently smokey scent.
8ALrLxh.jpg

E0t6JD1.jpg

wYb8MF9.jpg

Ember's suggests I call it Oxford's Wake. The Oxford was one of Henry Morgan's ships, whom Captain Morgan Rum is named for. I believe it's fitting name.
I'm about to have the first smoke in a meer.

Jan 8, 2013
Thanks Duane. I'm smoking some now, and it actually is delicious. The scent of the tobacco unsmoked is like a pungent campfire for lack of a better explanation. But the room note and flavor is entirely different, with more of a toasted marshmallow kind of thing going on. I'm wishing winter wasn't over, as I think this would be a great smoke on a cold day with a hot coffee. Still in the process of first smoke, so flavor profile could change.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Awesome, Anthony, looks like you’re putting it to good use! I love how glossy and shiny the puck looks when it comes out, that’s when you know that the press is doing its job, the oils are being pressed out and marrying with the other varietals. Now, how long before you buy a second one? Didn’t take me too long at all. Lol. Just unloaded two pucks today, locked and loaded more Match Victorian and in 8 days they’ll be ready to go, rinse repeat.
You definitely don’t want it too moist. Several members in the other thread did it with overly moist tobacco and juices were actually oozing out of the press. I heat mine in the microwave just before pressing and it’s amazing how moist it make what feels like dry tobacco before heating it. I throw it in the press as quickly as possible. Heating it up has proven to help the puck stay dense, without heating your tobacco your puck will probably expand a great deal in about a weeks time when out of the press. As I said before, the link I posted above has a wealth of knowledge of those who did all the trials and errors for the rest of us. I applaud all the fine work they put forth... for science, you know.

Jan 8, 2013
Now, how long before you buy a second one? Didn’t take me too long at all.
Lol! I'm already contemplating not one, but three more! I'd like to have them all going at the same time. These cakes and plugs take up far less space in a jar than loose tobacco.
Several members in the other thread did it with overly moist tobacco and juices were actually oozing out of the press.
I had a small amount of juice escaping from the press on the last day. To me, that just told me it was done :rofl: I imagine the perique added to that as well.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Lol! I'm already contemplating not one, but three more! I'd like to have them all going at the same time. These cakes and plugs take up far less space in a jar than loose tobacco

Hahaha! Good deal! They are so inexpensive and do such a good job, I’ll probably end up with four or five myself. I measure out 2 ounces of tobacco, which presses to 3/4” thick and you can fit two pucks in those tiny 4oz jars, they fit perfectly. Yeah I wish I would have known about this when I first started cellaring, could have saved a lot of room! I’m happy to hear you’re having fun with it!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
That cake looks great. I just ordered a noodle press, and I’m looking forward to experimenting. I think the first batch will be a VaPer with a bit of rum

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I was wondering how long it would take the Noobacco press to land here. Let the fun begin!
A bit of advice, drier is better, more time in the press is better than more pressure, give the plugs time to age after taking them out of the press, they’ll improve. Straight out of the press the flavors are a bit muted, like a freshly opened bottle of wine but for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.