PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I am amused when people hate someone's reviews. It's just what they get from the tobacco. No reason to be upset. Some people I seem to never get the same impression, but those reviews are equally valuable because I am aware that I will have a very different experience. Some are usually spot on for me so I know something of what to expect more directly.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have been looking for an excuse to mention this review, and I guess this is as good a thread as any. I bought a couple of tins of HH Vintage Syrian that I got around to smoking last week.

I thought this was a perfect review of this great blend, as it has lots of comparisons to things I am very familiar with:

"This is a smooth, lightly wine and creamy, fairly smoky, woody, earthy, leathery Syrian Latakia dominant blend; well balanced by the other ingredients. The Kentucky is noticeable here and there, and adds a pleasing woody, earthy, herbal, vegetative, light nutty burley and floral note, with a hint of spice that takes a back seat in the latter department to the dry, sweet and sour, woody, earthy, floral, herbal, incense-like Oriental and Turkish components. Quality light and dark Virginias give a solid base to the blend, adding the tart and tangy citrus and a tangy stewed dark fruitiness one would expect from them, as well as some earth, wood, bread and a touch of grass. I am surprised that a Balkan with this much Latakia is not a lat-bomb. Smokey and woodsy, it is like a better, bolder version of Gawith's Squadron Leader without the hay taste, but with a more pleasing naturally sweet Virginia base, and light spice. The strength is almost medium, while the taste is medium. The nic-hit is a slot behind the strength level. Won't bite or get harsh even if pushed, though it does have a few small rough edges. The components are well balanced, resulting in a very consistent tasting mixture that burns even, clean and cool. Requires few relights. Leaves very little dampness in the bowl. Has a pleasantly lingering after taste and lightly stronger room note. It's almost an all day experience for smokers who want a semi-complex mild to medium English blend. Your friends will smell it, and think you've started a campfire in your den."

Reactions: Carol

BryLogan

Lurker
Jun 5, 2021
Washington, DC
For the longest time I didn’t “get” Jim’s reviews. The long list of adjectives describing the flavors were, to me, identical. Until I read the excellent profile piece Chuck Stanion did on him on SP last year.

That piece taught me how to read Jim’s reviews; that I needed understand that the depth of his experience and process of evaluation meant that I would not taste all of those at one or, even, multiple smokes.

Since then I can only marvel at the knowledge, experience, thoughtfulness, thoroughness, dedication and stamina ? Jim brings to his informative reviews.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I still want to know how with all the smoking, all the reviews and his regular job drawing…where does he find time to clean pipes? Does he have a “pipe boy” that does nothing but maintains his pipes? I have questioned this for years.
Muscle memory. The more you do the same task over and over again, the faster that you can do it. JimInks can give a pipe a complete cleaning in under five seconds.

northernpipeshed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 26, 2017
I have no freaking clue as to why my high uric acid makes Red Virginia's like dragon fire. I asked my doctor and he had no clue. The weird thing is the last time I had the stones they were a combination of Calcium and Uric Acid stones. The only good thing is I have not gotten them for over 4 years after having them for over a dozen years straight.

My first time I had them, I had no clue what it was that made my balls felt like they were in a vice that kept getting tighter and tighter. I was in the emergency room at Brockton hospital in Mass and they loaded me up with Demerol and I was smoking Marlboro Reds the whole time. Picture that in todays world.

The last time I tested a red virginia was a bowl of Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture. Like an idiot I didn't check with Jim, and that shit burned my tongue off. Luckily I will sell the tins 4-5 times what I paid.
Uric acid also causes gout......which I had once this year..........and don't want it again!

I changed my diet to help combat it......worked up to now....fingers crossed.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
His rigorous objectivity is always appreciated. As someone who’s been smoking long enough to know what most constituent tobaccos taste like, I appreciate most of all his breakdown of proportions.

I would be very curious to hear some of Jim’s subjective opinions, maybe the 2 or 3 of each genre he personally likes the best and why. I suppose this could be gleaned to a certain extent from his posts on the What Are Smoking thread, but a lot those posts are probably blends he’s smoking for the purposes of working up his reviews, and not necessarily because he likes that blend. Other than EGR, of course.
What do you say, Jim?

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
His rigorous objectivity is always appreciated. As someone who’s been smoking long enough to know what most constituent tobaccos taste like, I appreciate most of all his breakdown of proportions.

I would be very curious to hear some of Jim’s subjective opinions, maybe the 2 or 3 of each genre he personally likes the best and why. I suppose this could be gleaned to a certain extent from his posts on the What Are Smoking thread, but a lot those posts are probably blends he’s smoking for the purposes of working up his reviews, and not necessarily because he likes that blend. Other than EGR, of course.
What do you say, Jim?
I smoke a lot of blends for various reasons: reviewing, because I like a bunch of them, because there are some I like less, but I don't throw away tobacco, so I smoke 'em up. In fact, I have a few pounds of stuff, mostly aros, that I'm not getting to, and can't figure out what to do with them.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
His reviews are invaluable when making purchasing decisions. Helps save me money directing me to blends more suited to my palate.

StevieB is another good, reliable reviewer on tobaccoreviews. I don't always agree with any one reviewer's assessments 100% of the time (taste is subjective, of course) but it's nice to have several reliable, experienced opinions to consult.