PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jim and I go back a few years and in all that time he never suggested a tobacco that I couldn't smoke. I have an affliction with Red Virginia's. My body has really high uric acid levels which produce kidney stones on a regular basis. Every time I wanted to find out if a blend had Red Virginia's I would contact Jim and he would say yes or no, very simple. He has never been wrong and he has saved me a good amount of money.

We both like a lot of the same blends and we talk about new versions and old versions and whether I should check out a blend. The last 4 he recommended were Salty Dogs, Curly Block, Brigham Royal Vintage : Dark Stoved and Savinelli DOblone d'Oro. All of these blends are top of the line and high quality tobacco.

Currently they are all buried somewhere in my house and aging quite nicely. Soon I will grab a few of those new blends when they have a good 7 years. I will send my friend Jim some to sample to get his impressions and to see if the older stuff is better.

Recently Jim asked me if I had some 2012 Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug so he could compare it to the new stuff. I sent him some as I am curious if there has been a lot of change. I am excited to hear Jims thoughts on that one.

I know some people don't appreciate Jims reviews and that is your right, me I will use him to keep me from buying shit I cannot smoke. Do your selves a favor and use Jim, sometimes you need to read between the lines, but that is ok as well.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
+1

I know there's no accounting for taste in this world, but it boggles my mind how anyone could even be neutral with regard to Jim's reviews, much less regard them with any degree of disfavor. I'm three years and change into my pipe smoking career (for lack of a better word), and I'd still be absolutely lost without his insight. It's nearly as essential to me as pipe cleaners or a tamper, no joke.

Dodgers are still way better than the Braves, though... nnnn

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Jim and I go back a few years and in all that time he never suggested a tobacco that I couldn't smoke. I have an affliction with Red Virginia's. My body has really high uric acid levels which produce kidney stones on a regular basis. Every time I wanted to find out if a blend had Red Virginia's I would contact Jim and he would say yes or no, very simple. He has never been wrong and he has saved me a good amount of money.

We both like a lot of the same blends and we talk about new versions and old versions and whether I should check out a blend. The last 4 he recommended were Salty Dogs, Curly Block, Brigham Royal Vintage : Dark Stoved and Savinelli DOblone d'Oro. All of these blends are top of the line and high quality tobacco.

Currently they are all buried somewhere in my house and aging quite nicely. Soon I will grab a few of those new blends when they have a good 7 years. I will send my friend Jim some to sample to get his impressions and to see if the older stuff is better.

Recently Jim asked me if I had some 2012 Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug so he could compare it to the new stuff. I sent him some as I am curious if there has been a lot of change. I am excited to hear Jims thoughts on that one.

I know some people don't appreciate Jims reviews and that is your right, me I will use him to keep me from buying shit I cannot smoke. Do your selves a favor and use Jim, sometimes you need to read between the lines, but that is ok as well.
Having had Stones myself and knowing there can be different cause for their formation, what is the correlation with uric acid level and Red Va? I, on the other hand do appreciate Jim's magic palate.

Last edited:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Having had Stones myself and knowing there can be different cause for their formation, what is the correlation with uric acid level and Red Va? I, on the other hand do appreciate Jim's magic palate.
I have no freaking clue as to why my high uric acid makes Red Virginia's like dragon fire. I asked my doctor and he had no clue. The weird thing is the last time I had the stones they were a combination of Calcium and Uric Acid stones. The only good thing is I have not gotten them for over 4 years after having them for over a dozen years straight.

My first time I had them, I had no clue what it was that made my balls felt like they were in a vice that kept getting tighter and tighter. I was in the emergency room at Brockton hospital in Mass and they loaded me up with Demerol and I was smoking Marlboro Reds the whole time. Picture that in todays world.

The last time I tested a red virginia was a bowl of Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture. Like an idiot I didn't check with Jim, and that shit burned my tongue off. Luckily I will sell the tins 4-5 times what I paid.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You can't read reviews or any kind of opinion piece or critique to hear your own impressions echoed back to you. jiminks has highly tuned taste and smell, and if his flavor profiles frequently exceed my ability to taste them, much less even imagine them, I find what's in my reach entirely creditable. If I disagreed almost entirely with his "take" on a blend, I would still greatly enjoy hearing his experience with it. For me, he is usually on target, and always informative and entertaining. He's a pro in letting you know the constituent tobaccos, approximate or exact proportions, and other details like tin note, room note, cut, and burning characteristics. Personally, I don't know of a better, more professional reviewer on the topics.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
+1

I know there's no accounting for taste in this world, but it boggles my mind how anyone could even be neutral with regard to Jim's reviews, much less regard them with any degree of disfavor. I'm three years and change into my pipe smoking career (for lack of a better word), and I'd still be absolutely lost without his insight. It's nearly as essential to me as pipe cleaners or a tamper, no joke.

Dodgers are still way better than the Braves, though... nnnn

Agreed - I depend totally on Jim's reviews for choosing my blends. You just have to learn his language.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
. The weird thing is the last time I had the stones they were a combination of Calcium and Uric Acid stones. The only good thing is I have not gotten them for over 4 years after having them for over a dozen years straight.
Glad to hear you haven’t had them for 4 years now. My brother is also prone to stones. I clearly remember the first time he got them. He didn’t have any idea what was going on but man, he was suffering.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I've been reading Jim's reviews for years and long before I found this forum. I hold Jim's opinions in high regard. My pipe journey has been greatly influenced by Jim and for that I thank him.

I always look at @JimInks and @pipestud for reviews. Two different takes that are different again than my experience but they are very informative of my experience. They are both very helpful to me!

^^^^^
In a nutshell bdw