Why Have I Never Lost My Taste For Latakia?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zitotczito

Lifer
Aug 12, 2014
I have read many tobacco reviews of various blends and of course who can not read jiminks reviews. I have spoken with Jim many times about various tobacco's and I always find it a pleasure to talk with him and discuss things. I began piping about 9 years ago and have tried numerous blends and have cellared a few things. I to this day am not a fan of burley's although I can tolerate it in very small quantities. People have often stated here that they moved on from Latakia to VA's and I have been cellaring various straight VA's awaiting the day that my love of Latakia lessens but it just does not want to happen. I love my Gaslight more now then when I first tried it.

Is my palate broken?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have read many tobacco reviews of various blends and of course who can not read jiminks reviews. I have spoken with Jim many times about various tobacco's and I always find it a pleasure to talk with him and discuss things. I began piping about 9 years ago and have tried numerous blends and have cellared a few things. I to this day am not a fan of burley's although I can tolerate it in very small quantities. People have often stated here that they moved on from Latakia to VA's and I have been cellaring various straight VA's awaiting the day that my love of Latakia lessens but it just does not want to happen. I love my Gaslight more now then when I first tried it.

Is my palate broken?
It took me nearly 25 years.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
It's actually a Syrian city.
@Chasing Embers I've heard of it; if there had been a Latakia car they'd have been made there, possibly set up by Zastava (Yugo) during the Yugoslav Wars not knowing that civil war would later break out...
It would probably have been an old Fiat like the Lada and the Yugo...

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I had many English blends I favored for years. I think being turned onto Burley & Virginias changed my palate to where all I taste when I’d smoke a blend with Latakia was burnt ?. I mean I’d try to revisit it periodically but I couldn’t get through a quarter bowl before the pipe was put down. Oh well, more for others I suppose. ☕

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Simple answer is because it's delicious! 60-70% of my tobacco stash is English/Balkan blends. From the first time I tried Balkan sobranie and frog Morton original I was hooked. Then had some SPC plum pudding and I became obsessed lol English aromatics are delicious as well. GLP spark plug is a night time favorite of mine after a long day. Smoke what hits the spot for you and enjoy it!

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I've been drinking coffee for over 40 years, and I've yet to lose my taste for it. Am I supposed to? I still kinda like water also, and I've been drinking that for way longer. I probably should just give it up altogether. puffy
Maxwell House though……..kind of a stretch calling yourself a coffee drinker with that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.