PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

churchlady

Lurker
Mar 15, 2024
Alabama
I'm smoking a little no name bent briar at the moment. I filled it with Parson's Blend from Country Squire that I'd previously let air out a bit. I took my time charring it (3-4 of those little matches). Puffed a bit to get the ember going. Tamped it lightly (I thought!) and now it's out. Tried again getting my ember going so I could settle down and smoke. Tamped it with my thumb this time (I have asbestos hands from baking biscuits). Went out again.

What am I doing wrong? Draw seems clear/easy. I did a scoop, shook that down, and then packed a clump on top of that (sorry, I forgot the term!). I've played around with different packing methods, cob/briar, different tobaccos - when I tamp it often goes out. I think I'm tamping lightly and often, so I'm really not sure what's happening here.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Great advice!

When you are thinking of tamping think about feeding a fire since its what you are doing. You would never mash the center of a campfire. Same with the pipe. Im fairly new back to this after years and the advice here has been great. You probably want to dry your tobacco more and load your pipe lighter using a gravity method.

When we are new we tend to use wet tobacco that is over packed and then we smoke it too fast. The result is a burnt mouth and tongue. Excessive relights of wet overpacked tobacco ends up being painful If the dottle is really wet you probably need to dry your tobacco.

Try taking a pipefull and sit it in the sun (inside) for 15 minutes or so. Or just set some out a while before you smoke. You dont want your tobacco to stick together when you squeeze it. You want it to feel dry to the touch. Some folks like it brittle but you can experiment. At least make it where it the outside feels dry. Smoking wet tobacco is not pleasant. I dont remeber what you are smoking but most tobacco is too wet from the tin.

aly

Lurker
Oct 6, 2021
It seems like you're putting in the effort, but maybe try tamping a bit more gently and ensuring your tobacco isn't too moist.

Reactions: churchlady

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
After I char the tobacco, I tamp it down gently, then light it and don’t tamp it anymore. I don’t fill to the rim but leave 1/8”.

The ash tends to create a nice draft and when you tamp it down it smothers it so when I do tamp it I make sure to continue smoking until I get a nice ash built up again.

If all else fails, just relight the pipe.

Reactions: churchlady

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I was recently told to just use the weight of the tamper to tamp and that solved the issue for me. I was putting too much pressure. I have learned that not much pressure is necessary.
Correct, sir! A light touch while drawing is all that's needed.
If my pipe has gone out, a tamp may or may not be indicated before the relight.