PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Did a search and found this thread.
Fairly new and infrequent pipe smoker here. I've been trying all different kinds of tobacco to see what I like, and I've found I like most of what I've tried among the aromatics and English blends. To give an idea of my tastes, I've found MacBaren's 7 Seas regular to be my favorite, along with Peter Stokkebye's Black Dansk and Golden Dansk. And also Orlik's Dark Strong Kentucky.
However, I've had a couple bad experiences with Virginia blends. I first tried Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, and it tasted pretty harsh to me. Then I tried C & D's John Marr (which I think is mostly Virginia). I didn't like it the first time, so this past Sunday I let it dry out for a couple hours before I smoked it, and tried to smoke slowly. It burnt well and tasted fine while I was smoking, but yesterday and even today my throat is a bit sore and phlegmy---not a pleasant result. I've never had this from aromatics.
Reading this thread, I'm seeing that Virginias can cause some issues. Or I it just the John Marr blend specifically? Should I just give up on them, or give them some time?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Those two blends are hardly what I'd consider great representatives of Va blends. Try some GLP Union Square. Try some Rattrays Brown Clunee (not pure Va but mostly a Va taste to me). The new Sutliff Red Va Krumble Kake is quite good.
Some people do have a allergic reaction to Va but I think more people have problems because they smoke it way too moist and puff too aggressively.

I can explain why some people say that Virginias are harsh. They are. They are more acidic, so that the effects of the heat and smoke are exacerbated by the acidity. You do not puff Virginias. If you like big puffs of smoke, avoid Virginias. The flavor is subtle, and they are meant to be smoked slow, with no puffing, just gentle sips or breathsmokes of gentle trickles of smoke slowly drifting through your mouth as you breath.
I know that a lot of guys hear us talk about Virginias being "for the more experienced smokers," and they are tempted to try these exclusive tobaccos. But, the reason we say this is because it takes seasoning and skills to smoke them. We aren't just denigrating other smokers. You seriously have to have skills other than puffing on an easy aromatic or even chugging a lat bomb.
Just jar up whatever remains you have, and come back to them. No worries. :puffy:

kylef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2018
Cape Ann, MA USA
Thanks, guys.
Yeah, I'm sure my technique is part of the problem. I tried to smoke it slow, but I guess I was still puffing more than sipping. And along with that, maybe that particular blend just isn't for me.
But I think will indeed just put that jar aside for a time while I try other blends.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
When packed too tight or tamped too hard, virginias will become harsh as well. I'm hardly a seasoned smoker, but virginias are my favourites so far. Well, some of them. I was quite disappointed with Astleys 44, which among other things always turned harsh towards the end of the bowl.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Still a newbie and left aros behind for a full on english/lat bomb stage. Wanting to expand my palate, I did tons of research on reviews about Virginias and Burleys etc. Well, I ordered some Escudo and this stuff melted my face off. Burnt tongue and scorched nostrils. WTF? How can this stuff be so popular. It was then I realized that it was definitely something I was doing wrong. I learned early on to never totally give up on a tobacco so I jarred it and put it away. I’ve also tried other Virginias with pretty much the same result.
Anyway, as I’ve learned to finesse my techniques, the wonderful taste of Virginia started to show itself to me. Meanwhile, the Escudo in my cupboard was always there, quietly whispering to give her another try. Just a few weeks ago I rubbed out a couple of coins, loaded up and had one of the best smokes ever. I’m guessing it was a combination of my learning how to slow down and a few months of age in a jar.
Virginias still burn my tongue if I’m not super careful so I’m convinced there is an acid and/or PH component here. It’s a different kind of burn than from an over puffed aro etc. Definitely feels like a chemistry issue to me. Regardless, I’m really looking forward to exploring more Virginias in the future as they are so good when you find that groove.

Dec 24, 2012
I think this thread ques it up quite nicely for another manliness thread, explaining that only real men smoke straight Vas.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm apparently way too much of a newbie for straight virginias as well. I ordered several styles of various tobaccos in 1oz. bulk to get a sense of the varieties. The virginia I tried is C&D Yorktown and although I've attempted several bowls thus far, each of them has tastes like dried pencil shavings. Clearly I need to master the "sip don't puff" in order to get any flavor from it.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I just finished a bowl of McClelland 40th Anniversary. What a good Virginia. It took me a couple of years of pipe smoking, getting deeper and deeper into lat bombs, before I got hooked on Virginias. Then I smoked nothing but, mostly McClelland, Virginia flakes for probably close to a full year. With McClelland closing I figured it was time to branch back out. I have since fallen for burley, and experienced a bunch of tobaccos in a whole new light, as smoking Virginia for so long taught me how to really slow down and enjoy the bowl. Many guys go through the same evolution, but not all. I'm going to be an aromatic smoker before long based on the trend.

Yeh, I think that some people can take to Virginias earlier than other people, because they were cigarette smokers. I know this was my case. Virginias are the main leaf in most cigarette blends. And, it is easier for them to acclimate. But, for someone coming to pipes from a non-smokers perspective, it does require some skills of sorts. I don't think smoking Virginias makes someone tougher, more manly, or even more exquisite. It's just another type of leaf, but a more acidic leaf that requires some foresite and respect, as it can bite hard. I split my tongue on Virginias, puffing too hard in the beginning, and getting over a bloody acid burn that splits your tongue is not fun, nor manly, nor more exquisite at all.
But, once you get the slow smoking part down, Virginias do offer a whole world of naturally sweet flavors, which are more subtle and nuanced. It's not sweet like an aromatic, but it has a whole world of flavors, for the smoker that is ready for them. And, even in saying that, we have seasoned smokers on here that still avoid them, because of the bite, or because they just never taste the flavors, or because they just enjoy other types of blends more. There's no shame in any of that.

Crash, I know what you mean. I think that acclimating my smoking style for Virginias, now has opened up burleys and other leaf to taste whole new dimensions of those types as well. Even cigars. I can now slowly sip a cigar for almost three hours, slowly taking in more flavors that I would have otherwise just have burned up into thin air.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I didn't even think about the effect on cigar smoking. I used to really not enjoy cigars, but now have found that I like them once in awhile, but usually do not have the time for them. They really do last an awful long longer than they used to.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
So what would more experienced pipers recommend as a "starting" Virginia? A "Virginia-with-training-wheels" so to speak? Are there known "gateway" Virginias that are more forgiving and can help newbies along to wonder of Virginias?

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
So what would more experienced pipers recommend as a "starting" Virginia? A "Virginia-with-training-wheels" so to speak? Are there known "gateway" Virginias that are more forgiving and can help newbies along to wonder of Virginias?
Orlik Golden Sliced ("OGS"). It's a forgiving, easy-to-smoke bright Virginia. The "bright" means that its tasting notes are grass / hay / citrus and less of the dark, dried fruit of the "dark" Virginias. Several members of this forum recommended OGS to me a few months back when I decided to step into the world of Virginias. After trying quite a few different popular Virginias, I'd say OGS is a great place to start.

tenfiver

Lurker
Nov 13, 2018
Orlik-Golden Sliced

GL Pease-Union Square

Samuel Gawith-Best Brown Flake
Those shouldn't be too much of a boot to the rear end for a new VA smoker, and they're tasty too.
**as I was thinking of suggestions, I checked in on one of my favorite cellar blends and realized I can't find it online anymore. Anybody know how if it's possible to buy Park Lane Red Paramour online anywhere?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Uh-oh, someone mentioned McC's Navy Cavendish in this context. I am aging a tin, so maybe it will be tamed by the time I pop the lid. Burley Cavendish is usually pretty easygoing. +1 on Orlik Golden Sliced; if sipped, it is a mannerly non-edgy tobacco in my experience.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I was afraid to try them at first. I still prefer lat blends, but OGS, LNF and LBF were all pretty easy for me to start with. I still have yet to smoke a straight Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.