Why do Sellers Avoid Pics of the Chamber?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

denholrl

Might Stick Around
Mar 27, 2011
Title edited to broaden subject and add capitals. Please see rule 9.

I'm genuinely curious: Why do so many sellers on eBay and other platforms avoid listing a photo of the chamber? I mean, I often see a dozen pics showing the same angles, but not a single illuminated photo of the chamber. It seems easy enough - use a flashlight, take a picture. It's an important part of information, right? I'm not talking about pipe lots or the random seller who happens upon some estate pipes, but the dealers that sell nice pipes on a regular basis. Does it add too much time? Is it difficult to do? I know I'm asking a lot here, but while we're at it, can we get pics of the shank face and tenon too? /rant
It's tricky to get a good, meaningful shot. Lighting and focus being the issues.

Reactions: EchoPlex

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
A few good estate vendors refurbish the pipes they sell to "like new" condition. The entire airway is cleaned and sterilized and the chamber is expertly reamed and smoothed. They will also give an accurate description of the pipe's condition, including whether there is damage to the draft hole or the chamber has been over-reamed or out-of-round. Vendors like these (e.g. smokingpipes.com, deadmanpipes.com) do not always include a lit photograph of the chamber but you can usually depend it being in good shape. They will also accept returns if the pipe has not been smoked.

The majority of estate pipe vendors do nothing to the pipe. They might give an accurate description or not. Those vendors should be expected to show a lit photo of the chamber, if for no other reason than that it gives the buyer an idea of how much restoration work they will have to perform.

This is the kind of photo that should be provided by a reputable estate vendor.

IMG_007173.JPG

Reactions: EchoPlex