PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
We agree. Most behaviors are genetic.
Behaviors! Genetic! Hell no. Predispostions are often genetic, but behaviors are learned for the most part, at least in the human race.
I believe alcoholism can be genetic and a disease; it can also be a choice to drink excessively for some, but not others, where the first drink or two ends up in a physical craving for more.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A.A. is extremely conservative, dogmatic and inflexible; it is also, for those that fit, profound and profoundly effective for maintaining sobriety and the spiritual evolution that is the remedy both for the character defects that caused the fall to addiction and their slow cure, that threaten an addict with relapse. I have had many fights with A.A., but fighting the organization is like fighting God. The one fight I can't let go of is its anti-intellectuality, yet many monastics follow the rule of simplicity, and from what I know simplicity has much more to do with the heart than the head, and for me all my A.A. work has been a slow journey from the head to the heart.
Joy or God is of the heart. I've been reading Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosa-bhasya, and it defines the world, the senses and ideas as conditioning, and the mental state that ensues in the cessation of thought nirvana. This state, too, is much more of the heart than head. All this to say that A.A. is probably right about simplicity as well, but as I'm a sucker for elegant intellectuality, I refuse to give up its power for map-making.
Regarding the genetic predisposition vs moral character discussion, in the end it really doesn't matter. If you want sobriety you have to be willing to do whatever it takes, regardless of the reason behind the addiction. If I develop ALS, I may have somehow caused it, but if I become an addict, and if I get sober and relapse, I am the one drinking the alcohol. That's a big difference. A.A. describes the active alcoholic as being unable to exercise the power of choice, and I entirely agree. Physical craving and mental-obsession are very strong. But if I stop drinking, free will cannot really be gone; some get it back and get sober. Better to say that the active addict's free will is in stasis, and when he reaches a bottom or a crash and burn, he is jolted into using it.
The entire force of A.A. is in not using, which over a period of months or years removes the bodily addiction, and more slowly, the mental obsession. The whole force of A.A. could be summarized in its adage, the first drink kills you, if not now, then too slowly as you drink, drink again, and again and again; as you lose a little bit more of yourself with every drunk. Of course alcohol figures prominently in many ER visits, hospitalizations, prison sentences, car wrecks, illegalities and suicides.
Anyone who wishes to bring the facile charge against addicts of a lack of moral character has little knowledge of that about which he speaks. Most alcoholics have considerable grit in that background. There's no denying the evil of the world and the fact that it is passed on to children as part of their debut. Bad training brings out the bad in people, and many addicts founder in the wrong choices they make to the grit they were fed that they could neither process nor let go.
A.A. is supremely logical. Drinking brings you low, so stop. One can make a formidable barrier between himself and using by not using: Meetings, meetings, and more meeting, Stepwork, being sponsored and sponsoring. The Rooms afford a very clear teaching on alcohol, the inculcation of a basic spiritual methodology, support and fellowship.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
A.A. makes a clear point: until you assume responsibility, the drinking will own you.
This is true of many things.
Yes, predilections are genetic, and behaviors are responses to those, but without a behavioral response, the predilection rules. And that is my point.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, predilections are genetic, and behaviors are responses to those, but without a behavioral response, the predilection rules. And that is my point.
But there's always a behavioral response! It can be positive or negative depending on what the genetic trait is.
My reading of literature and experience with alcoholism leads me to believe that there are some who are alcoholic because of alcoholism in the family, and some who are alcoholic with no discernible traces thereof in the family of origin.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Interesting thread. I just came across it because Tozert and I had a few PM's exchanged and I decided to look into see what other threads he's started, good thread mate!
I quit drinking because if I didn't it would have killed me sooner rather than later. It wasn't just the drink I was into though, I also had various chemical dependencies. I had been prescribed benzodiazepines for more than half my life and I had developed what they call dependency withdrawal, which really means that I have built up a tolerance to the drug to such an extent that even though my blood stream was full of the drug I was having severe withdrawal symptoms. This lead me to start self medicating with higher doses of the benzos and the booze was added to help calm the extreme tremors. This was just the basic everyday stuff but my true love was for opiates and I mean any opiate but mostly the prescription variety. I later found a legal herb called Kratom that mimics opiates in the brain but it got me into more trouble than the heavy duty opiates did. All in all to make a long story short, I had to get out of this tangled web that I wove for myself and I decided to put myself into rehab and I've been sober since. I'm 3 and a half years into my sobriety and 8 years into smoking a pipe and let me tell ya smoking a pipe these days is so much more enjoyable than it was in my dependency days. I've been building a wonderful life for myself since my sobriety as well. I remarried and my wife and I had our first child, a little baby girl that is actually 9 months old today. My wife is also sober (4 years), we joke that we won't be paying for our daughters college because we're saving for her rehab when she gets older instead.
Never thought I'd be sharing this info with ya'll in this forum but hell, why not? I don't regret any of it!
....well, maybe a few things. :D

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm 28 years old, and have taken ONE intentional sip of alcohol in my life.
But It's easier to tell people that I don't drink. Never have, never will.
My parents were terrible alcoholics for most of my life. It made for a really crappy childhood. Lot's of terrible memories, and a lot of memories that I blacked out and forgotten untill my older sister reminded me or told me about.
Once when I was about 5, I was really thirsty, and went to take a drink of my moms water.
IT WAS NOT WATER.
Plus addiction runs strong in the family, so I know better than to start. I know

I would enjoy it too much.
I also use the excuse to purchase more tobacco. and occasionally splurge on something higher quality than Carter Hall. Like Cosmic says " Good tobacco".

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
A woman shows up irregularly at meetings with a big abdomen. Thought she was pregnant but she has ascites, severe cirrhosis such that fluid builds up. She's still drinking. Some don't make it.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
Sadly, many of our afflictions are genetic. Predisposition to cancer and addictions are a couple of those. I have tried some things that are 'addictive', including alcohol and other things... and found that they are NOT addictive to me. Some people, of course, but me... no.

Facing the fact that some things can't be fixed (predisposition to addiction is one) is part of growing up I guess.
And, no, I didn't quit drinking alcohol. I enjoy it and have learned that I DO NOT like hangovers. :twisted:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I quit drinking alcohol for health reasons.

I was still imbibing when I took up the pipe, and I read some piece on the interweb about the combination of alcohol and tobacco to be volatile.
also:
I have not made and decisions approaching the stupidity of those I made when I was drunk.

While I can relate to the above quote, I should say that I still make stupid decisions, but maybe fewer of them, without the influence of alcohol on my cerebral cortex.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
One interesting statistic I have observed recently about myself is the effect of alcohol on my resting heart rate. I'm "athletic" and my resting heart rate is 47 or 48 BPM. However during recent periods in my life in which I drank hard liquor every evening while watching TV, my resting heart rate was 55 or 56 BPM. Nothing else changed in terms of diet or exercise, just the alcohol consumption.
So ... I have reduced the drinking dramatically. Down to a couple of pints of beer on a Friday and Saturday evening and nothing through the work week. Still the resting heart rate ticks up to 49 for those days I imbibe even with that.

I have also been an athlete most of my life. I still ride my bike when I can, but I've also broken most of my bones, and I still get the aches and pains. But, pain medicines make me sick feeling, and alcahol makes me feel sick.

Having never developed a taste for alcohol, I just never took to it easily. "Wine, mmm, grape juice that burns." But, in college, I gave it the good old college try. Pinched my nose, and guzzled. To me it was like forcing myself to get the flu. My stomach hurt, I was dizzy, I became an asshole, but throwing up tasted about the same to me as forcing it down the first time. But, I tried again, and again. Then one night after a party, I woke up in the passenger seat of a car with an unknown naked woman asleep at the wheel flying down the interstate. Yeh, well, it wasn't really hard for me to quit.
To this day, when I get prescribed pain killers, even after breaking my hip in a bicycle accident, I never get them filled. It may be genetic also. Every time I have had a surgery, the anesthesiologist and I have to discuss using things other than putting me to sleep, because the anesthesia doesn't work on me, and, strangely enough they tell me that many redheads have the same problems. Things don't numb us, and drugs don't affect us the same way. I guess I am just lucky, ha. Even the taste of some alcohols in tobacco blends smells repulsive. But, I have alcoholics in my family, so I am not sure how any of that works, genetically.
So, tobaccos and coffee are my drugs of choice. I won't be forcing myself to drink any more. I can drink as much coffee as my bladder can handle, and not end up in jail.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I'm on my 4'th month of no alcohol. I was finding it was effecting my stomach so I am taking a good long break. Lost some weight and I'm sleeping better. The wife is also happy with my decision. I will most likely enjoy a beer or a glass of wine from time to time or maybe a scotch. I didn't have a hard time removing alcohol from my diet even though I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll just save it for special occasions and keep it to a minimum.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Every time I have had a surgery, the anesthesiologist and I have to discuss using things other than putting me to sleep, because the anesthesia doesn't work on me, and, strangely enough they tell me that many redheads have the same problems.
Very true, also many Northern-descended people. Redheads have a high pain tolerance:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1736101/?tool=pmcentrez

Mar 1, 2014
Crap, now I learn that being a Viking/Highlander cross makes me immune to anesthesia.
When they pulled my wisdom teeth a few years ago I signed up for anesthetization, it cost extra $300, and I distinctly remember a conversation with the nurse telling me I wouldn’t remember any of what she said.

Status
Not open for further replies.