PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Nostalgia.
My grandfather smoked a pipe, and I remember him codger scooping OTC out of a pouch a puffing away relentlessly. At first, pipe smoking was a way to remember the good times out on the lake fishing. Now I smoke because it is such a luxury to be alone with one of my many favorite pipes and just sip away on an incredibly delicious blend. Ahhh, this is the life.

My grandfather (COPD), grandmother (lung cancer), father (myocardial infarction) died because of cigarette smoking with a few other health issues. When I first met my gf who later became my fiancee (we are not engaged anymore, so ex-fiancee technically), she one day randomly bought a MacQueen Barrel pipe just to experience how the tobacco tasted like. I got interested because of that single pipe and the set of Middle Earth Tobacco Jars she got. Fast forward to today, proud owner of around 100 pipes, a not-for-profit pipe seller and pipe smoking advocate in India. She might be gone but her inspiration remains.
Chris

gsmunoz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2016
Cigarette smoker since 1988. I tried Carter Hall from my dad's pipe years ago and wasn't impressed enough to take it up.
I few short months ago, I decided to try to switch over form cigarettes to pipes and found out there was an whole world of amazing tobaccos that I had no clue existed.
I am now caught up in it hook, line, and sinker. :puffpipe:

puffndave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2015
I always admired the cool, contemplative look of pipe smokers from the old days, but cigars were easier to get into, so I started with them. I soon understood how obscenely expensive this would soon become, so now I smoke pipes. Can't imagine how I'd be able to make ends meet if I had a cigarette habit either. In theory, I can stop collecting pipes and accessories forever, while enjoying the best tobacco in the world for less, but...must have that pipe, just one more, goddammit!

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I was 16. 1973. Dr Grabow and Middletons Cherry. The Dr was presmoked . It had to be good.
I have come a long way.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
I saw pipes in a store. They looked cool. Like someone felt it SO worthwhile, they put so much work into creating it. I held one in my hand. It felt like it belonged there, so I bought it!

burney

Lurker
Sep 10, 2014
It was 14 years ago on a rainy day in the cape regions of South Africa. I will still a school boy at that time. Granted, it was high school, and as teenagers are wont to do, a Buddy of mine and I decided to experiment. Being pretty good kids, we decided not to experiment with drugs or alcohol. We each bought a pipe and miserably awful aromatic tobacco. Both of us are pipe smokers till this day.
I believe my first ever experience with Pipe tobacco was Holland house cherry. Should buy it at least once again but I am afraid it might turn me off off the hobby.

smoky

Lurker
Aug 24, 2016
I started smoking the pipe to help reduce stress, and to stop drinking (so much). It worked! My health has never been better.
Plus I enjoy the flavors. 8)

mrbig

Lurker
Oct 8, 2009
I had enjoyed smoking good cigars since graduating college, but I turned to pipes as a way of enjoying good tobacco at a better price when I was an unemployed graduate student. That made economic sense for a while, but I then moved from pipe smoker to pipe collector and we all know how that goes.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
chicks

oh wait, it was 1992. probably not chicks

A friend and I picked up pipes & a goopy cherry blend at a local supermarket on a drunken whim. Me, being a cig smoker, took to it immediately. I continued to smoke mostly RYO blends like Bugler & Drum out of it for a couple years bears before the pipe went by the wayside. sometime around '98 I got into cigars and shortly after started pipes again after visiting the Edward's tobacco shop in Denver. Brian and Tom helped by giving me a lot of information, guidance and tobacco suggestions.

qhelms

Lurker
Jan 19, 2013
I was 18 and wandered into Rich's in Portland OR. Bought a neat little briar pipe and 2oz of Champagne aromatic. Smoked it all in a week and then picked up a pouch of cherry Cavendish from the local bm. Burned my tongue, the pipe, and my roommates. Threw it all away and never tried again for 10 years! Sitting here tonight with a chest full of danish free hands but smoking a MM General full of MacBaren Navy Flake.Funny what age and experience will do...

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wanted to experience the next step up from cigarettes and cigars.
At first, I was lost...
But now, I am not disappointed!

pilotage16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2015
After living in the Caribbean for 6 years and smoking Cuban cigars, I was extremely disappointed with the taste of most cigars available in the states. Pipe tobacco IMO has more variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.