PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have signed up and listed a few pipes on the site. I just finished doing an inventory of my tobacco so I will be starting to load all of that info on the sight shortly. :puffy:

leacha

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
Tried to at the first beta test but it didn't play well with my tablet which is 95+% of my internet use. After a few emails it was just that. I've been planning on giving it another go.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I wonder make an online tool. Why not make an app for it?

I would find it much more useful. Always available, no need for internet connection.

To me, making it an online tool is a design mistake.

To be connected, sure, share stuff with others, sure. But needing internet at all times... tsk tsk tsk ...

Just my 2 cents of IT ideas.

jeepnewbie

Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I had the PipeTool apple app on my iPad and iPhone but they quit doing updates on it and apple removed it. Makes me mad since I paid money for it.
I have started using the "The Pipe Tool" (which I think you are referring to) website and like it fairly well. I like that for the most part it pulls names as you type them, and blends for brands as you type them. I wish it also auto loaded the types of tobaccos those blends had in them so you wouldn't have to jump between pages to log them into the blend.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I like that for the most part it pulls names as you type them, and blends for brands as you type them.
Very nice! I haven't started listing my leaf yet so I was not aware of this feature. That will be a real pleasure for this "two finger" typist. :)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
There will be a "sell or trade" feature on ( thepipetool.com ) sometime in the future when the members cellars can be made public.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I have the app as well and though I like the site, wish I could transfer all the info on the app to the site instead of re-entering it all. The app was great and easy to use and I didn't have to be inline to access it. I wish they would revamp it along with the website.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I use an iPad and I appreciate what they are doing with the site but they started with an app and then let it die. And as said above, it was a paid app, and one would expect it to not die and also continue to improve and be updated. I love the site but I spent a lot of time plugging all my tins into the app, now they want me to do it all over again on a website. I have 175+ tins in the cellar. That's a lot of time to invest again.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Yes, it takes time to do it right. I let things go for too long on the other site, mostly because it wasn't very user friendly.

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Yep I use the site. I just don't have a whole lot of tobacco to put in it. I have been using it since early testing and it keeps getting better.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I just don't have a whole lot of tobacco to put in it.
Not a bad thing as far as listing your tobacco goes. Better to use the Pipe Tool from the beginning when tins are few then to wait till you have a zillion tins to start listing. :puffy:

fmgee

Sep 26, 2014
Jkrug that was my thoughts exactly. Mind you I currently organize a large biological collection for a living so I am would not be scared of a large pile of tobacco tins... I would actually be pretty excited!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm with Dave. I started with the app and, while discontinued, still use it to track my cellar.
I've joined the new site - but the thought of keying everything in again is a "Meh" for me.
Should'a, would'a, could'a? An Excel spreadsheet started years ago: stored on my computers, the cloud, my phone, etc.
Fnord

buckaroo

Lifer
Sep 30, 2014
So. Cal.
Sounds good as I've never heard of the site, but I could't imagine re-entering my fairly large cellar into a another website even if it has more features. Yeow.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I just use Excel and keep track that way. I do not have a robust cellar so its easy.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I wonder make an online tool. Why not make an app for it?
Because an online tool works with many more platforms, and also both past and future technologies.
I'd think twice about designing an app over a web app for a company that has a terrible record of backward compatibility, for example...

Status
Not open for further replies.