Who's the Stem/Tenon Repair Jedi Around Here?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regarding kcghost --- Don't listen to him. He smokes only bent pipes, hates dates and dried figs, drives an SUV, and lets himself be bossed around by a tiny 15-year-old cat.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Well, I figured the faster I got on it, the more likely I could maybe beat the full curing process of any recently applied adhesive.
I got out my trusty $5 needle files. Used the triangle shaped one to cut grooves at the "quarters" inside the broken tenon piece within the stummel.
I then used the thinnest flat tool from the Leatherman to gently pry the "quarters" away from the briar wall.
I had just finished steaming some veggies for dinner (thanks, bluto, for mentioning heat) so I stood the stummel in a glass in the steamer after the heat was just turned off for about 5 minutes.
Dried the condensation off, snagged an edge of the broken piece with the needle nose Leatherman jaws and out she came!
Now, I just need to find someone to replace the tenon in the stem, right?
tenon1-600x337.jpg

tenon3-600x263.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Well done
I love it when a pipe comes together , err , apart

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
When will we get software to print out our own stems? Should be dead easy if we can make Glocks or whatever with a 3-D printer....

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
A pleasant development in the saga of this pipe.
I emailed Gubbels yesterday, the parent company of Big Ben. I inquired about purchasing a new stem.
This reply was in this morning. Either the man himself sent the reply or they put his name on all of them. Either way, it's the beginning of excellent service.
Dear Mr. Xxxx,
Thanks for your email and sorry to learn about the broken stem tenon.
The tenon is a loose part which we glue in the mouthpiece part. Is the tenon really broken or did it come out completely.
In case that the tenon is broken we cannot simply send a new mouthpiece as it will not fit. Pipes are made by hand and every pipe is different. Can you remove the part of the tenon that is inside the bowl? We can replace the tenon in your mouthpiece …. But therefore you need to send the mouthpiece in a small envelop to us (The Netherlands). We will fix it and are willing to return to you without extra charge.
Awaiting your answers, we remain,
With our best regards,
GUBBELS_LOGO
Elbert Gubbels
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.