PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Herman Lane was fascinated by Edward Teach and named the brand after Teach's notorious nickname.

Very cool information!

That's interesting to consider - although the thought of the TV Captain Black Martian/Earth Take-Over via Mind-Control Pipe Tobacco Smoke Rings Conspiracy Theory is more fun to ponder :LOL: .

I could see how Lane could be fascinated by Blackbeard, the pirate; as even the Wiki article is intriguing and quite colorful! Wiki article on BLACKBEARD

AND, just look at the end he - Blackbeard, not Herman Lane - came to!
Blackbeard_Head.jpg
Edward Teach's severed head hangs from Maynard's bowsprit, as pictured in Charles Elles's The Pirates Own Book (1837)

Now, who doesn't love a story that end with a decapitation, right?!

Speaking of Historical accuracy, I keep reading that due the fear of shipboard fires, Pirates, Privateers, and Sailors had to chew tobacco when aboard those old wooden ships; and yet, we automatically associate them with pipe smoking - and not, chewing tobacco.

Of course, I wasn't there, so I really can't say; however, it does seem that the fiction is often more fun than the fact; except for the decapitation... that's a winner in my book! - Sherm Natman

Last edited:

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Like so many things I just assumed it was Satan.
So many names!
Jack Daniels, Jim Beam, Ozzy Ozborn, Martha Stewart.
It's all the same.
M_3Ir-L87BOgbqYvOWRw8mm3934

Last edited:

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
I'm not sure if it is close to 1Q. To me it is closer to Lane BCA. I did smoke one pouch of Captain Black white back when I had first started the pipe. It wasn't terrible, but yeh, very boring. It was the first blend that I thought that I actually tasted. But, yeh, there are many more aromatic blends out there that are way better.

And very bland.

I hear you guys; but, what can you do - to each his own, as they say. IF someone likes to smoke CB, it matters not to me. They might think the same about me and my Prince Albert. But if they are going to smoke CB branded blends, why not smoke the better quality versions Lane also offers?

That's the part that puzzles me.

I still enjoy a bowl of 1-Q on occasion, when I just want to taste some sweetness on my tongue and I am not looking for any Vitamin N, because I am already loaded-up in that department.

On BCA: From what i recall that one is a black cavendish; whereas CBW has black cav as a component; but also, white burley and virginia, which BCA does not, as far as I know - and the look is various different colors; whereas, BCA is black - So I would discount that comparison.

It's been forever since I tried a CB offering; and, a long time since I smoked things like BCA, RLP-6, and HGL; and, my point is simply that if someone is going to smoke those types of aromatics, why not smoke the better quality versions of them?

Lower quality leaf and higher saturation level of humicants versus higher quality leaf and lower levels of humicants... Seems like an easy preference to me. - Sherm Natnam

n BCA: From what i recall that one is a black cavendish; whereas CBW has black cav as a component; but also, white burley and virginia, which BCA does not, as far as I know
You mean to tell me that someone can actually taste Virginia and a sparse amount of burley in Captain Black? puffy
I'm absolutely certain that if it's in there, because the whole thing is just goopy pitch black, from what I remember of it... but "If" it's in there, it is only added to trick the person into thinking that they are smoking a real tobacco.

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
You mean to tell me that someone can actually taste Virginia and a sparse amount of burley in Captain Black? puffy
No... I never said that.

What I said was they do not have the same components.

See for yourself:
CBWHITE.jpg
There's CB WHITE

And here is BCA:
BCA.jpg

I would simply ask yourself: Do these 2 products look the same?

And that's before we take into account the description of the ingredients.

If your still not certain, you can always call Lane Ltd., and ask them if BCA is CBW.

Let us know what you learn - Sherm Natman

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
No... I never said that.

What I said was they do not have the same components.

See for yourself:
View attachment 209875
There's CB WHITE

And here is BCA:
View attachment 209876

I would simply ask yourself: Do these 2 products look the same?

And that's before we take into account the description of the ingredients.

If your still not certain, you can always call Lane Ltd., and ask them if BCA is CBW.

Let us know what you learn - Sherm Natman
I was more going by flavor. Of those two pictures, sure they look different. But, you can still sort of taste tobacco in 1Q. Captain Black white, you can't.
I didn't realize that you meant the way it looks. puffy I'm just kidding. I wouldn't be caught dead smoking any of these nowadays.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
I didn't realize that you meant the way it looks. puffy I'm just kidding. I wouldn't be caught dead smoking any of these nowadays.

Well, see, now I have to ask you to keep my secret that yes, every now and then, my sweet-tooth kicks in and your friend and humble narrator does indeed partake of the old Lane 1-Q, every other blue moon.

Wifey and the dogs were all sworn to Omerta some time ago.

Besides, if I were to ever "be caught dead smoking any of those blends", I'd just tell them my name is @Grangerous :LOL:

I do this same trick with speeding tickets and code-enforcement violations too. Works great; try it! - Sherm Natman

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Dont do Aros myself but a guy I do some custom carpentry for smokes the CB Royal by the can I gave him a tin of that Jolly St Nick and a cob for Christmas and he said it wasn't strong enough so there's that for what it's worth sure smelled like 1q to me. Tried the CB black when I first started a wet goopy steamy mess that didn't taste like tobacco at all strange stuff just be glad no one is trying to sell you on the grape stuff can't even believe that's real...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
just be glad no one is trying to sell you on the grape stuff can't even believe that's real...
Was really, now sadly discontinued. I liked it so much that I bought a purple stemmed IMP just for it. Visions of Celephäis is many times more grape than CBG was.

Tried the CB black when I first started a wet goopy steamy mess that didn't taste like tobacco at all
Be glad it has its fans. Aromatic sells are 90% of pipe tobacco revenue. Once they go, pipe tobacco will be history.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Besides, if I were to ever "be caught dead smoking any of those blends", I'd just tell them my name is @Grangerous :LOL:

I do this same trick with speeding tickets and code-enforcement violations too. Works great; try it! - Sherm Natman

Tell the cop to give my wife the ticket. I just sit behind the wheel and do what I’m told.

As for being caught dead smokin 1Q or it’s ilk… I might as well lip an entire can of Skoal Berry Blend you insufferable, honey cob wrecking, Mixture 79 lovin SOB.

Shermie…

Missed you, Bro 😎

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Was really, now sadly discontinued. I liked it so much that I bought a purple stemmed IMP just for it. Visions of Celephäis is many times more grape than CBG was.
That was the only of "the old ones" series I did not try,
Be glad it has its fans. Aromatic sells are 90% of pipe tobacco revenue. Once they go, pipe tobacco will be history.
Profoundly true, a guy schooled me on 1Q at a cafe when I asked what he was smoking and I was so new I hadn't heard of it and he told me about how it was probably the #1 smoked blend in America and then told me what it was called as a house blend at every tobacco shop within 20 miles.