PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Maybe the whole lot of tobacco you bought was subpar this time, did it taste different even the first days you tried when compared to the last times you ordered?
Virginia lover it tasted the same as it always had which is good lol an it tasted fine up till a day or two ago

Mar 29, 2016
No sir they all smell the same I couldn’t tell the va red from the burley or the va bright or the Paraguay they all smell the same
Weird, different varietals smell different to me so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you have the beginning of a cold and your taste buds are affected? I don't know what to say.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Weird, different varietals smell different to me so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe you have the beginning of a cold and your taste buds are affected? I don't know what to say.
Virginia lover you read my mind the only other thing I can think of is what you just said I must be getting sick an don’t know it yet wich is a little odd I usually know a week in advance if I’m going to get sick and have not been sick since 2016 but that’s the only thing I can think of sickness thanks for all of your help

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
You’re not jarring up using old Taco Bell salsa jars or something are ya?
? no definitely not some things may slip my mind but using a crusty old jar would not they are all new jars 1/2 gallon ball seal jars and 1/2 gallon screw type mason jars washed cleaned an dried the whole nine yards

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m following this closely cos I have about 10kg in whole leaf jarred. Like @weezell my first thought was ammonia. I’m assuming you purchased through total lead supply given the French burley reference?

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
I’m following this closely cos I have about 10kg in whole leaf jarred. Like @weezell my first thought was ammonia. I’m assuming you purchased through total lead supply given the French burley reference?
I will report back with whatever I find to be causing this an yes it was from total leaf supply an some from whole leaf only

Arsenic is a floral-like aroma, and you probably wouldn’t be alive to post.
If it were an ammonia smell, I would agree with Javan. I’m not the most familiar with bought whole leaf. I’m not sure if it has been sweated before you got it or not, but sweating out the ammonia is essential for making tobacco less harsh on your throat when you smoke it.
If it were ammonia, I’d suggest leaving it jarred for longer, like maybe a few months.

Reactions: jvnshr

jhand45

Lurker
Apr 6, 2020
I've found whole leaf can be a bit bitter if its too wet. Also, whats the blend? I'm not sure I'd want that cameroon binder in a pipe blend in any meaningful quantity

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Thanks for all the reply’s but there is no ammonia smell when you burn it or when you open the jar and smell it none at all unlike the store bought stuff.. it is a mix of French burley, va red, va bright and Paraguay double solid leaf.. sorry there is no Cameroon in it my mistake I made 1 jar with out the Paraguay tobacco and it to taste just like all the others so I’m sure it’s not the Paraguay tobacco

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Arsenic is a floral-like aroma, and you probably wouldn’t be alive to post.
If it were an ammonia smell, I would agree with Javan. I’m not the most familiar with bought whole leaf. I’m not sure if it has been sweated before you got it or not, but sweating out the ammonia is essential for making tobacco less harsh on your throat when you smoke it.
If it were ammonia, I’d suggest leaving it jarred for longer, like maybe a few months.
? I’m familiar with what arsenic is I just couldn’t find a better word to describe it it’s horrible but it was good a few days ago it leaves a big slug like feeling in your throat an your body starts pushing it up your throat rejecting it

Status
Not open for further replies.