PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Hello I recently purchased 1lb of VA red, 1lb of va bright leaf, 1lb of French burley, and 1lb of Paraguay Cameroon binder I stripped the stems shredded the leaves an Jared it.. the first few day it tastes great!!! Now day 5 it taste like arsenic!!! Is there something I have done wrong???!!! Oh :ps I’ve tried 6 different pipes I have and still no change?? I’ve also cleaned all the pipes thourghly, with alcohol as well as took the cake off!!??? So any help would be greatly appreciated

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Well it’s been 1 hour and 7 minutes since I sat the tobacco out to let it air out some nothing changed if anything it’s slightly harsher than it was

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
Average Joe was reading your question not being an expert on tobacco but perhaps the stripping and shredding may have cause the taste here. Suggest you let the tobacco dry out for a few days and then jar it again. Fresh tobacco when picked has a strong acid taste. Just a suggestion

Reactions: jpmcwjr

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Average Joe was reading your question not being an expert on tobacco but perhaps the stripping and shredding may have cause the taste here. Suggest you let the tobacco dry out for a few days and then jar it again. Fresh tobacco when picked has a strong acid taste. Just a suggestion
Thanks for the suggestion fjc623 although I have used tobacco like this multiple times in the past and never had a problem but I never mixed it either? Question about letting it air out.. I had to add some water cause it was a tad on the dry side. So if I let it air out then add water to it again will that just start the process all over?

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
The more I think about this consider the water as well if from the tap keep in mind there are chemicals and chlorine in tap water. Hope this did not change the flavor something to consider.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
So I just took some French burley leaf and Virginia red leaf I had left shredded it an tried it in all 6 pipes still the same?? So I’m confident it’s not my jarring technique lol it just seems all of the tobacco has gone bad turned to arsenic poison tasting ?

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
The more I think about this consider the water as well if from the tap keep in mind there are chemicals and chlorine in tap water. Hope this did not change the flavor something to consider.
I’ve been giving the water some thought it was all natural bottled spring water

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
We did however have a definite temperature an humidity change ? I’m wondering if that is causing my problem? Although I’ve used this type of tobacco in the past many times and never have had an issue?

fjc623

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2014
New York
This matter is beyond my experience but good luck I hope the tobacco comes back with the good flavor. Have a good evening perhaps another member can share some insight here.

Reactions: Infantry23
Mar 29, 2016
Adding water is always a tricky proposition, I spoiled 2 ounces of Perique by putting too much distilled water. With water, I learned the hard way that less is more. Also spring water has minerals that could change things in the leaf, always go with distilled water especially for cigars.

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
Adding water is always a tricky proposition, I spoiled 2 ounces of Perique by putting too much distilled water. With water, I learned the hard way that less is more. Also spring water has minerals that could change things in the leaf, always go with distilled water especially for cigars.
Thanks for the advice Virginia lover that did answer my question about spring water.. but I still have leaves that haven’t been shredded an they to have ended up tasting like what I jarred? Any ideas on this ?

averagejoe1

Lurker
May 23, 2018
If you really want to see if adding moisture would help, fill a pipe, lightly cap the chamber with you're fingers and blow through the stem. When you feel warmth rising from the chamber, light and enjoy.
If you really want to see if adding moisture would help, fill a pipe, lightly cap the chamber with you're fingers and blow through the stem. When you feel warmth rising from the chamber, light and enjoy.
I was trying that earlier chasing memebers thanks for the advice though

Mar 29, 2016
Thanks for the advice Virginia lover that did answer my question about spring water.. but I still have leaves that haven’t been shredded an they to have ended up tasting like what I jarred? Any ideas on this ?
Maybe the whole lot of tobacco you bought was subpar this time, did it taste different even the first days you tried when compared to the last times you ordered?

Status
Not open for further replies.