Who likes to smoke through one blend at a time?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

24 Fresh Nørding Pipes
9 Fresh Savinelli Autograph Pipes
12 Fresh Ashton Pipes
18 Fresh Ropp Pipes
60 Fresh Peterson Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rondyr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2012
Bel Air, MD
I've got two tins open now that I'm smoking, but Christmas is only eight days away, so then I'll have like ten tins open. Lol.

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
Philip and I seem to have similar tastes, tho I tend to have one particular blend I favor most. At the moment my favorite is Esoterica Margate. I've been smoking it (5-7 bowls a day) for alittle over a week now, but I always keep a tin of Dunhill 965 open. Currently my 4 tins are the 965, Balkan Sasieni, Margate, and Squadron Leader. After I finish the Margate, I believe the tin of Squadron Leader will take center stage, very tasty!

colesradioactive

Might Stick Around
Apr 3, 2012
I Still haven't been able to try Penzance. I finally did score a tin a few days back and I tucked it away in my laptop bag to enjoy at work and before I even had a chance to open it and take in the tin aroma, my truck was broken into and my laptop bag taken from it! I was more pissed about the Penzance than the computer, the computer is sooooo much easier to replace! Ha!

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Cgrmaster, if I could be assured that my tins/bulks would stay somewhat fresh, I would join your brothel! I do love variety!

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I wonder how many folks smoke all 4 of the major categories?

I do, for one. I like to keep a tin of each open all the times. Sometimes I'll have two tins open for a category if I find a blend that seems like it will be a favorite.
4 months in I am developing my rotation.

Four years in, and you'll probably still be developing your rotation. That's part of the fun.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would be bored within 2 days, if I lasted that long. I would consider this the equivalent of eating say, scrambled eggs at every meal. I usually have 15-20 blends in a rotation at once, and when one goes, I may open up something else in the same category.

As to the 4 major categories, I don't smoke aros. I always have lots of lat blends open and plenty of Virginias. Burleys go back and forth. Don't think I have any open right now, after doing a lot with them earlier this year.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I have never been able to stay loyal to any blend, just not my style. Any blend can go into any pipe as well, my only rule is not not smoke a light aro from a pipe that smells heavily of English. I do have a couple pipes reserved to aros.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lately I've been smoking just a new blend on the ride to work and haivng my regular blends at the house. I've gotten quickly through a tin of Town Topic and Easy Street this way. Working on Mellow Mack right now with the same routine.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I would like to experiment with all my tobacco this way. I have to many tins open now and they are beginning to dry out. When I finish what I have open now I think I will try the one at a time method.....ok maybe two at a time.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
My jars usually seal themselves... You'll hear them if you are anywhere close by! I don't know if it is a change in temperature or air pressure but it always happens. It takes a bit of effort to pry open the seal again.
mkvillaire,
If you do it this way, IMO, you will always be smoking your tobacco at its peak.
I am convinced that the longer you have a tobacco opened, there's an evaporation/dissipation of flavour compounds and oils along with moisture. You can rehydrate old tobacco to make it smokeable again, but it'll never be the same as the new stuff and I think there's a good reason for it!
If you have an aged tobacco, especially, I think it's best to smoke through it as soon as possible because that goes downhill fast.
It goes hand in hand with getting a better appreciation of the blend by smoking it until its gone - you catch the tobacco while it's still dressed up in its finest, not when it first crawled out of bed in the morning... ;)
Again, I was pretty strict with my initial conditions, but their effect will vary with individual habits...
Somebody who smokes 1 or 2 bowls a day could probably smoke that way for a very long time.
Somebody who smokes 5-10 bowls a day would most likely get bored along the same lines as Jud's analogy - scrambled eggs for every meal.
On the other extreme, you have people who smoke the one blend for the best part of their entire lifetime. Most famously among these people are the mysterious "old codgers" we all speak of... I honestly don't know if I would want to be that loyal to a blend, but I think we all would do it if that was our only option...
LoTPR, I am sure you see the benefits to both approaches - variety and consistency. The main difference is that you "know" a blend much faster when you stick to one for an extended period; it's like taking a crash course. lol.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
Simenon
I agree. That's why I haven't rehydrated and jarred what I already have open. I will rehydrate and smoke though. When I want to age, I would prefer the tobacco to be in the best condition possible.

undermidnight

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
I am in serious "try stuff out" mode as I smoked 1Q for years and sometime some other mild aromatics but 95% of the time 1Q.
Since being introduced to English blends, I am starting to taste stuff that is way more interesting so I am trying new stuff. Germain seems to be consistently good with me (as well as SG). Will be trying more C&D blends soon.
Smoker's Haven In-Between mix seems to be one of the blends I will settle with as my new go-to.
However, 1Q will always have a special place in my heart and its own jar.
Jason

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
flyguy, go to walmart and look for a 4 pack of tupperware LIKE plastic containers. The big one holds a dozen tins or so and the smaller ones less. These containers keep my open tins fresh for at least a couple of months. The 4 pack only costs maybe 5-8 bucks. For my bulks I use the high quality plastic containers with the bale tops and silicone gaskets also from walmart. They will keep my bulks fresh indefinitely. I stay away from anything with rubber seals, I have had those deteriorate after a decade. The bale top containers from walmart are not cheap, the biggest one will hold 4 plus pounds and is 12.97, next size down is 8.97 holds 2 pounds, next one down is 7.97 holds 1.5 pounds, next one down is I think 5.97 and holds a pound.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Simenon wrote:
"Captain Bob, do you just smoke your own blends exclusively? I suppose I would smoke my own custom blends, too! I want a full dark VA flake cased with molasses and a dark yet medium strength VA flake cased with tonquin named in my honour".
Simenon,
Yes, I smoke exclusively my own three blends most of the time. I do have other favorites and smoke a pipe full now and then. If you want an exclusive blend (proprietary blend) contact Chris Tarler at C&D and give him your formula (or intention toward your ultimate blend) and I anticipate that he will blend it for you when time permits and give it his best attempt with all of his talent.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

batdemon

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 20, 2011
I always have something from all 4 catagories in rotation. Love having a variety to choose from. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.