PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Bulldogs!
I thought it might be great to have a thread to post photos of your dogs!
100_0904.jpg

:D Bulldogs are cool,…..although I have to admit that until recently I thought quite the contrary.
I have thanked Uncle Arthur for piquing my interest in them just last winter when he explained that the style was not, as I had assumed, a rather recent development,....he told me that they became popular early in the last century and not, again as I had assumed, in the 1960’s.
So I decided to follow up on that, digging around I found and read an article describing what made a pipe a “Bulldog” and found a lot of very old photos of gentlemen smoking early examples of the style.
With a new appreciation of the style, I decided to pick up an old Marxman on ebay,....and after a decent restoration, discovered that it was one of the most comfortable pipes in my collection not to mention the fact that it smoked better than dang near every one of them!
I liked it so much I quickly picked up two more,….a GBD and a Comoy’s, both in serious need of a resto,…which I just finished (pun intended) last night.
So I thought it might be fun to see pics of everyone else's Bulldogs!
GBD (fully restored, it wasn't too bad, dents and dings)

100_0888-1.jpg

Comoy's (fully restored, it was the worst piece of garbage you could imagine!)

100_0887-1.jpg

Marxman (fully restored, it wasn't too bad either)

100_0886-1.jpg

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Nice dogs, although I feel all of us forum members should throw you a "Boot Party" for bringing up that horrible song again... :wink:
I love the Comoy's dog. Good job on the restorations.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I like those two Savinelli's Baskerville.
And yes Lawrence yours is definately bigger! I remember seeing that one before!
kf,....for the record; I HATE that....what-ever it is,...it ain't a "song"...anyhow I really do hate it!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Great dogs Tommy! My favorite shape, after billiards. I like straight as well as bent bulldogs. Some folks throw in the Rhodesians in this class as well... I'll try to post a few of my dogs...just got to charge up the phone camera first.. You certainly have the beginnings of a nice collection.

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Something like this, Janko?
I want to add a couple more bulldogs to my collection, but have yet to find the one that really catches my eye. I have a REALLY old Peterson bent bulldog that needs a lot of tlc and I haven't figured out just how to bring it back to life yet. There are a lot of dent in the silver band and the rim of the bowl is pretty tore up and worn. I'm sure I'll figure it out one of these days.
On the left is my Stanwell Colonial 186. On the right is my Rinaldo Bent Rhodesian.

dsc02832-600x450.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Sasieni

DSCN0462.jpg

Rattray's

DSCN0435.jpg

Ben Wade Ovation

DSCN0440.jpg

GBD New Era

DSCN0459.jpg

Peterson Donegal Rocky 80s

DSCN0460.jpg

Butz-Choquin D'Accord

DSCN0434.jpg

Jirsa

DSCN0461.jpg

Julius Vesz

DSCN0458.jpg

GBD Popular

GBDPop1.jpg

Invicta

DSCN0531.jpg

Savinelli Pisa

Sav_Pisa_623.jpg

...and I'm missing a pic of a GBD Natural, which in any event looks like the New Era and Popular.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Here are some of my favorite bulldogs. All bought from http://www.smokingpipes.com/. Thanks Sykes! The three Dunhills were bought as estate pipes, each for under $200. All three came from the estate of Aaron Spelling. Never heard of him before buying his pipes, but here is the blurb:
Wikipedia: "Aaron Spelling (April 22, 1923 – June 23, 2006) was an American film and television producer. As of 2009, Spelling's eponymous production company Spelling Television holds the record as the most prolific television writer, with 218 producer and executive producer credits. Forbes ranked him the 11th top-earning dead celebrity in 2009". Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Spelling
PetersonDonegalRocky80Spair.jpg

Pair of Peterson 80S Donegal Rocky saddle-bit bent bulldogs. Originally P-lip, I filed them down to resemble fishtails.
DunhillShell310411984.jpg

Here is a Dunhill Shell 3104 (1984). Small reliable smoker. When broken down, it fits into my leather tobacco bag, along with lighter for an on-the-go kit.
DunhillBruyere1483A1975.jpg

And here is a Dunhill Bruyere 483 3A (1975). Classic English Bulldog.
DunhillCumberland32041nodate.jpg

Lastly, a Dunhill Cumberland 3204 (no date stamp), smooth rim.
Happy smoking.
:puffpipe:

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Wow,.....you guys have got some incredible pipes! Most of those are absolutely beautiful!
I'm really going to have fight tonight's temptation to seek out a few more.

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
I love Bulldog and Rhodesian pipes too. I have a few. Always been somewhat of an argument which is which.
Here are a few examples of a few of mine.

Pipe by Ronny Thuner of Sweden

BooDog.jpg

100_0226.jpg

Pipe by Mark Tinsky

100_0228.jpg

A nice Meershaum from the late 1800's

Meerwithamber2.jpg

A churchwarden by Ronny Thuner of Sweden

DSC04757650x488.jpg
DSC04745.jpg

An old Weber that was a Birthday gift from a friend.
DSC04750.jpg

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Nice pipes guys!All of the pipes I own,I dont have a bulldog.Ive been searching for one.I would like to have a lrage one.All I've seen are smaller pipes.Ive been buying several large pipes,as most of you know,I tend to go crazy on spending,if I like something.If anyone finds a bulldog that fits that desription,let me know.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Decent pictures of my antiques.

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/963/d21-600x442.jpg

http://pipesmagazine.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/album/963/d11-600x457.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.