Who is the Greatest Living Artisan Pipe Maker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Given the post title, at first I thought, this was more about a discussion of who the industry considered are the living greats today, not people’s personal favorites of who they might consider.

But, to ask, who is the greatest, not sure anyone has that title.

Last edited:

Mike N

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2023
It would appear that a rising prince to the thrown is jalanpipes.com. Just incredible creations.

Reactions: JOHN72

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Michael Parks. He's supposed to be a really nice guy but I hate him. He makes cool stuff I can't afford. Oh sure, I could try harder and make more money but in this time of people wanting special unwarranted treatment for no good reason, that doesn't seem fair for him to do that to me just so I can own one of his pipes. It's very unwoke of him.

View attachment 249274
View attachment 249276
Impressive.

stflorian

Might Stick Around
Jan 16, 2015
Larry Roush and Trevor Talbert have been making very well engineered and unique pipes for many years. Neither of these carvers are "me-too", they carved / created their own styles. I own pipes from each of these carvers.
Glad to see Larry mentioned. He has been a great friend for years and makes a superb smoker.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Do they still make gourd calabash pipes?
Strambach (Austria) still does
Be mindful that Strambach uses "cultured"(ie pressed) meerschaum. Not block.

As do a few Turkish carvers

Just do a Google search for gourd calabash pipes
PS If you are going to get into pipes (as with any hobby), Google can be your best aid

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I recently came across the website of a Canadian craftsman, "Parks Pipes", and I was struck by the beauty of his creations.
Then I saw the prices...

Reactions: Egg Shen
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well for a long time Sixten Ivarson was regarded by many as the best pipe maker in the world, but that opinion is subjective. There are so many great pipe makers well known and not so well known. I guess it just depends on your tastes and what you look for in a pipe. Some will favor the Danish makers, while others will favor the Italians and others will favor American carvers, etc.

I don't have a favorite or an opinion on who the best is, because there are just so many great pipe makers out there. I appreciate all of them that put their time, dedication and heart into their craft for others to enjoy this great hobby/lifestyle.

Homer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2020
Finland

PS If you are going to get into pipes (as with any hobby), Google can be your best aid
I thought that Strambach has closed it’s business since their website was looking like it was not updated since 1995.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg
Jun 9, 2018
England

I don't believe Strambach still make gourd calabashes. Last I heard they were having trouble sourcing gourds of the quality they wanted. The meerschaum they used wasn't pressed either. It was grown using some proprietary method.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper