Who do You Send Your Pipes for Professional Cleaning?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Title edited to lower case articles and unimportant works.

I’m thinking about bringing my collection of Sam Adebayo pipes to the LVIPS in October, but I’d like to send them off to be professionally cleaned better than I can do myself. Looking for suggestions of reputable places to send them off to be professionally deep cleaned. Thanks for any help, appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
When it comes to a deep cleaning, I do it myself. Sometimes the process can a few days, so I'll do a number of pipes at the same time, as part of that process is using a series of alcohol soaked pipe cleaners, letting the stay in the airway till they dry out and suck out oils, letting the pipe dry out, then repeating several times. Nuts, I know, but the pipe gets very close to neutral.
If I need a repair, then I use a pro.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Id be hesitant to send my pipes anywhere in the mail. It never crossed my mind to have someone else take care of them. Id really have to know their work. Not like I buy thousand dollar pipes but still. The wrong person can jack things up if they dont care as much as you.

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
When it comes to a deep cleaning, I do it myself. Sometimes the process can a few days, so I'll do a number of pipes at the same time, as part of that process is using a series of alcohol soaked pipe cleaners, letting the stay in the airway till they dry out and suck out oils, letting the pipe dry out, then repeating several times. Nuts, I know, but the pipe gets very close to neutral.
I also do my own cleaning, perhaps not as good as a pro but there's a certain feeling of satisfaction. Repairs are sent out to a pro.

Reactions: Two Pipes Crossing

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
What kind of alcohol? Thanks

Pyrodoc

Lurker
Dec 5, 2023
Arlington, Texas
I’m thinking about bringing my collection of Sam Adebayo pipes to the LVIPS in October, but I’d like to send them off to be professionally cleaned better than I can do myself. Looking for suggestions of reputable places to send them off to be professionally deep cleaned. Thanks for any help, appreciate it.
I’d be happy to take a look at your collection and discuss what need.
MyPipeGuy@yahoo.com

Reactions: lordofthepiperings

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I do most of my own, but if you want it done absolutely spectacularly well, Chance Whittamore with great estate pipes does an excellent job, but its a little pricier than other options like mad pipes or rad pipes (both on instagram).

Chance recently completed this restoration for me on a 1967 Sven Knudsen Pipe Dan Swan, and a 1967 Dunhill 104:

20240131_180003.jpeg
20240131_175917.jpeg

These were done by Mad Pipes:

C1FA1529-AFC7-465F-A4D2-6B3CD1C2AC3A.jpeg867C3131-123D-4217-8010-BE2B260BD417.jpeg

SunriseBoy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 18, 2021
Toowoomba
Title edited to lower case articles and unimportant works.

Anyone in Oz doing this?

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Do it myself, love it.
In particular the really, really grimy ones :)
Currently cleaning a very nice and very, very dirty Castello Sea Rock CS from the sixties ( ivory bar ! )
Bought it from Noli Milan, they promised a clean pipe, ready to smoke out of the box etc. etc. !
Dirty business again with them Italians sellers.
It did not come cheap and when I complained things got just a little ugly.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
With the problems that exist with the mail everywhere Id only send pipes that needed some restoration type cleaning. In the music industry I know guys who have sent saxophones worth thousands in the mail and had them disappear. Insurance is not always easy to colllect and some things you cant replace if they pay.

If its just interal cleaning Id sit down with a beverage of choice and go work on them. As a side note. Never ship reusing a box that is labeled as something valuable or easy to move in the market. Someone I know did and its pretty clear it was stolen by workers. Obviously, odds are still on your side but I wouldnt tempt fate if I didnt have to.