PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

annioli

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
baton rouge, LA
I am looking for ANY information about pipes stamped with this mark. Meerschaum? Clay? Both? I can't find any information on a "maker". As I say, ANY information would be welcomed! Thanks!

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
I can only offer this. Kilshaw's aution house just sold a meerschaum by that name. It went for $45. However I do not know if the same company manufactured pipes made of alternate materials. Try Pipedia or Google for more info.

annioli

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
baton rouge, LA
Hi. Thx. I have seen quite a few at auction. I have one (claw/egg) that was sold to me as meerschaum, but then another collector saw it and said, "no, I have one of those, and that's clay." So, I got online and started looking them up. It seems that all the ones I found bearing the same markings were described as meerschaum (claw/egg, a couple of busts carvings, with and without mouthpieces, etc.). So now, I have no idea who to believe. I was suspicious of the weight of the thing from the beginning as I found it kinda heavy for meerschaum, plus I'm thinking now it looks like it might have a seam; but then again, just dunno. I've already checked Pipedia; there is no mention. So, I'm kind of at a loss and was hoping to find someone who might own one. Thx again. Å

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Well the prized meerschaum pipes are made of, and usually marked "block meerschaum", but meerschaum scrap or poor quality is also ground into a powder and put in molding machines. For that reason if stamped they usually will say "press meerschaum" and that type is definitely heavier than the good stuff. If you see what you think is a seam it could be a press meer. To complicate matters clays can appear to be a meer and also show a mold separation line or seam. Clays are commonly treated and sold as porcelain, all perfectly legitimate but now sort of uncommon. I'm trying to find out the phrase "allsorba" and "patent" relationship. Very possible this same company made all the above types of pipe at sometime or another.

annioli

Lurker
Sep 22, 2012
baton rouge, LA
That's really good information. Thank you! I now remember reading about press meerschaum, but I didn't put that together here. I think because the guy who said he had a clay version of the pipe just stuck that in my head and I stopped thinking. Ha. But pressed meerschaum would sort of pull everything together, wouldn't it? I mean, if it has a seam, it's from Scotland, it's too heavy, etc., it could be taken for or assumed to be clay. ??
BTW, if you're going to do some more digging, it's Allsorbo (with an "o"). I've been searching that for days now, and never find anything more than more pipes with the same markings for sale at various auction houses. So, if you come up with anything else, I would love to hear it. Thanks too for taking an interest, and please don't work too hard. :) Much appreciated!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.