PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Wearing gloves, white or otherwise, would raise definite questions about whether the pipe was serving me or I was serving the pipe. My sweaty hands are part of my owning a pipe. I do polish up my pipes after I smoke them. If that isn't enough, too bad. Those videos of white-gloved hands fondling expensive pipes for sale are just showmanship. I believe the hand models (the people wearing those white gloves) are all sworn to non-smoking and celibacy.

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
The white gloves are to make you look more dapper. One should also have a handlebar moustache with large curls when smoking such a pipe with white gloves.

As for white socks with flipflops whilst smoking your meer? Abominable! You should be banished to a far away land with the rest of society's bad apples.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I could see a clerk at a high end pipe shop handling the meers with gloves, but at home....??? Dirty hands a no no, but even then you can wash the meer inside and out with.....good old H2O.

aimlesswanderer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 25, 2016
I don't have a meer, but I do have an opinion:
If you feel the need to wear white gloves to avoid staining your pipe, I would suggest you're smoking the wrong pipe. Get one that you can smoke without feeling the need to wear gloves, unless of course you were just looking for an excuse to wear white gloves anyway.
I wonder if snooker referees smoke meers.... ? :puffpipe:

cally454

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 31, 2012
My no stain briars have finger prints on them as well. . Don't care. About dropped one said pipe after reading sables post. Lmao

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
This is one truly messed up post.
1. OP asks honest to God question re. wearing white gloves to smoke a meer.
2. Anthony gets offended by the color scheme.
3. Bradley stands honor guard for JFK laying in state.
4. Cosmic outs himself/herself as a cross dresser.
5. Jesse, the Barling boffin, compares necrophilia to pipe smoking. (Ewwww.)
6. And four guys I really enjoy and admire go off topic about flip flops.
Tim, on behalf of the Pipes Magazine forum you have my sincerest goddamned apology.
Fnord

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
What about white leather gloves? Perhaps one needs to totally accessorize your meerschaum smoking experience with a girlfriend who has a monobrow? The possibilities for kink are absolutely endless. Why stop with white gloves, you could add a Reactolight monocle into the mix and perhaps since we are talking leather here maybe a German uniform and a whip? On a serious note I read somewhere in some chaps memories of Paris in the 1890s that he lived above a professional meerschaum colorer whose job was to smoke the meerschaum pipes until they were the correct color by sitting by his window. What an absolutely fabulous way to earn a living. Naturally this all changed when an Austrian dude invented a machine that automated the whole process sometime before 1900. On a personal level I have never worried about the whole glove thing as I never buy anything that is remotely new so the meerschaum is so hardened through smoking by the time I get my mits on it that nothing on my fingers could ever harm the patina.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
This is one truly messed up post.
A bit of lighthearted teasing for sure, but there's also some sincere answers to the OP.
If friends can't make a bit of fun of each other and admit they like to wear flip flops and women's clothing, just what kind of a brotherhood is this :)
BTW cosmic, do you have a source for size 11 patent leather pumps? They are ridiculously hard to find here.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
If wearing white gloves is a problem, then you can just use the stem of the pipe to hold it.
I wear white socks with flip flops while smoking my meers, is that okay?
I have always wondered how Japanese ladies were walking with that white sock and flip flop thing.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Just so everyone doesn't get the wrong impression of me...I only wear white socks with flip flops during the summer....during the winter it's black socks.
I mean geeze, I'm not a monster.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
666512309.jpg

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Great humor and information. :crazy:

Cosmic & Ash - Pictures or it didn't happen!

now, I HAVE to buy one, though it just got more expensive since I now have to buy gloves, petticoats, and flip flops to complete the look! Do I need a top hat as well, or will an Easter bonnet do?

Status
Not open for further replies.