PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I've heard that "on the rocks" originally meant that in order to cool a glass of Scotch, small stones were fetched from a nearby stream... and put into the drink. They used the stones because there was no refrigeration all those many moons ago and a good mountain stream was nothing short of cold.

We have some of the "Whiskey Rocks" in the freezer... but, I'm with scurvydog in that I generally drink my liquors room temp.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I have them, they work well for the first drink then warm up quickly.

I still put a 1/2 cube of ice in to "wake the scotch".

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Whiskey stones for $12....couldn't you just freeze some marbles? Or do what I do, if you want cold whiskey, stick the bottle in the freezer.

:lol:

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I have some but like martiniman said, they dont stay cold long enough. I like 1 ice cube with my 3 (sometimes 4) fingers of bourbon. I freeze jagermeister and vodka

coreyr

Lurker
Feb 4, 2013
Virginia
hmmm Intersting. I usually like my single malt neat and room temperature. I may have to give these things a try though. :idea:

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
Just give it to me "neat"!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
I have them and I enjoy them with my Jameson but I found I still like to put a cube in every once in awhile.

ffmurray

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2013
+1 room temperature neat, If i need a cold drink Ill have beer or a well crafted cocktail without an umbrella

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I got some as a gift. Used em twice. Once to confirm "yup, these make my drink cold" and the second to take a picture and send them to the gifter. Ever since I have not had any desire to use them. I either drink my scotch neat in a nice glass, or I'm drinking bourbon....from the bottle.

estumpf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2013
I got those for a Christmas present. Used them once. Like undecagon said, it cooled it some, not like ice, and put them away forever.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Bought a set for a friend, but have never had the urge to use them myself. If I'm drinking straight spirits (single malts, bourbon), I generally take them neat with a drop or two of water. If I'm using mixers (rum & Coke), I'll just use ice.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
My son gave me a set last Christmas. I don't have the heart to tell him I like my bourbon neat and warm. Better flavor that way.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I picked some up last christmas and they work awesome... The look pretty cool as well

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
I've got a bunch of these, and I love em. Just remember to be very gentle when placing them in a thin walled glass.
To really cure your case of "sweaty glass," get some those awesome double-wall glasses like these: http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Thermo-glass-Pavina-Double-Thermo-Glasses/dp/B00076ZD22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372950901&sr=8-3&keywords=insulated+rocks+glass

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Whiskey stones are a grat way to chill a top shelf whiskey without diluting it with melting ice. Depending on the whiskey will determine if the stones are used or not. Kind of like selecting a pipe and tobacco, you need to find the right glass and chill method for a good whiskey.

Status
Not open for further replies.