Which Tobacco Adds the Peppery Spiciness? Latakia? Orientals?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
rsuninv "Correct. I've heard folks warn about too much Latakia but in my small world it's the Orientals you have to watch out for."
I am with you.

I have recently started to experiment at my B&M with baccy besides aro's. I still like the aro's I have come to claim as old friends, but I have also come to appreciate the blends with some Latakia in them. Glad I passed on my last order to P&C. I was going to get several cans of Syrian. I just don't do pepper ( hot peppers not black pepper) in much quantity. Probably weird for a guy from the Southwest. ;O)
At any rate you guys have, once again,saved me some MTE ( money, time & effort)Thanks!

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
sablebrush52

"Red Virginia doesn't affect me too strongly. Virginia bright, on the other hand, is truly brutal."
I have been thinking of cellaring some Virginia's, after reading some of the raves people have made on them.

I am understanding you to say reds are milder? Not trying to hang you out sablebrush52. I would not think it hard to unload some Virginias that had been properly cellared 4 or 5 years, if I do not care for them when the time comes. I am thinking the reds best, if the others are harsher to you.I would think your experience on this would probably hold true to some degree, even for the guys who smoke all the Virginias. Bottom line Reds are milder than the others?????

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I have come to find that Perique is kind of an odd beast

+1

Juding from pure batches of each, To me...

Pure Latakia= horse barn smell

Pure Perique= dog turd smell
I guess I like horse crap. Adding different amounts of Perique results in varied taste effects it seems. Neither gives me the sensation of "pepper" however so Id have to guess its the "Orientals" which is my least understood type and most diverse in flavor from different growers. Is this reasonable to the more experienced?
I do not like pepper, but do like horseradish nasal burn sensation and is similar to nicotine clouds thru the nose I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.