PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Good call lostandfound! What an interesting man.
GeorgeAdamson_GirlWithCubs_COLOR_Vertical_Book_480.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Retired members of the International Association of Heat and Frost Insulators and Allied Workers.( Local 19) 8O

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I think of Craftsmen being pipe smokers. One of my favorite things is to warm a bowl while I'm in my woodworking shop. Something about the smell of the sawdust and the taste of a good English is just magic. Also there is a Fly fishing shop in Casper WY that ties custom flys and the gentleman that does the tyeing sits in this room all his wears before him and the fog of his huge rustic poker glowing away. I once had the privilege to sit for hours with a very nice Scottish wood carver who then was in his late 70's at a Celtic fest here in town. His man was as skilled with his tools as a pipe. I still remember being under this canvas tent in October with the rain slowly misting down and listening to this man tell stories while drinking good coffee and warming my feet by the cast iron travel stove he had to keep the coffee and our selves warm..

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I've had a few professions over time. Electrician, part-time farmer, retired as a systems programmer. And retirement is the best profession of all.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Theoretical Physicist seems to have been missed. You can add sporting goods retailer to the list too. Guess which one I am haha

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
If lion tamers smoke pipes then definitely cartered accountants would as well. Because we all know that the first step in becoming a lion tamer is to become a chartered accountant. Then some guys make that jump in one go but others then go through banking first.
Machinists and mechanical engineers are required by code to be pipe smokers.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Irwin, you are killing me with the leaving open Monte Python references .
He' . A lumber jack and hes ok

He sleeps all night

And he works all day.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
The guy who turned me on to quality pipes and tobacco (as opposed to the drug store crap I'd experimented with) which is the point at which I really became a pipe smoker was a movie theatre projectionist ... so, for me, that's a profession I will always associate with pipe smokers.

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
If lion tamers smoke pipes then definitely cartered accountants would as well.
Hey now, don't leave out certified management accountants (or those aspiring to be).
Lumberjacks come with two songs for me, first is Monty Python of course, but a close second is the Log Driver's Waltz
09_Log_Drivers_BIG.jpg

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Chartered accountancy is a Monty Python sketch as well.
But I am a Brit com dork..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We probably should include churchwardens, which is or was a post in the Anglican Church,

a lay person who handled secular and legal affairs for the church (congregation).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is the pipe shape diplomat, so perhaps as a courtesy we should add diplomat to our list of pipe smoking

professions, although I can't think of a diplomat pictured smoking a pipe in public, and I'm not sure there is

any history of it, though likely some diplomats, at least back in the 1950's and 1960's did so. Pipe smoking

diplomats today probably do it in the privacy of the embassy or consulate inner sanctums.

Status
Not open for further replies.