Which pipe for Virginias and which for English blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
I've got two new pipes recently (one is slightly used, but new to me). I would like to designate one for blends with latakia in them and the other for Virginias. I was wondering if there's anything about the qualities of the pipes that would make one better suited for one type of blend than the other. I just won the Boswell today on eBay and hopefully I'll be getting it soon.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190653941046

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290681833022&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:3160
One more question: Did I get a great deal on that Boswell? It seems like a really low price for a pipe that seems barely used and was made by a highly regarded pipe maker.

Jul 15, 2011
It looks like both of those pipes are roughly the same size, so its hard for me to say. I like dedicating my English blends to bigger pipes because I love the flavor and love a good, long English smoke. If it were me, I would dedicate the pipe that has never been smoked to Virginia blends. Virginia blends would be a good way to get a nice carbon coating on the inside of the bowl, and in my experience, virginia blends dont leave much of a ghost, so if you break it in and decide you want to dedicate it to a different kind of tobacco, you wont have a flavor or scent left behind that you have to deal with. As far as the Boswell, given the fact that you bought it from a top rated seller and the price that you paid for it, I would say you got the steal of the year my good man. You are unlikely to find another bargain like that in this lifetime.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
$41, including shipping, for a Boswell is an awesome deal. I prefer some of his other pipes, but it looks like it will smoke fine.
Everyone has their own opinions about reserving certain pipes for certain blends. It all comes down to personal choice. I have one pipe that only smokes one blend. I have another that primarily burns English. Some restrict a pipe to aromatics. Do a search on pipe thermodynamics for an interesting discussion on this topic. Based off this topic, I want to get a pipe with a wide shallow chamber, since all my pipes have narrow deep chambers.
Good luck in your quest. Ultimately, as long as you are happy and don't set your shirt on fire, you are doing it correctly.
Winton

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I use the ones that smell like Latakia for Latakia blends and I use the ones that smell like Va for those blends. I guess I made a choice at some point. You have to make the choice, my friend. Sometimes it is hard to do. But, when you choose, stick with it!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Nice pipes 8) especially that David Jones
I would designate the David Jones to Virginias and the Boswell to Latakia/English, based on how I smoke. I prefer to give Virginias less room to burn so they won't bite.
Reserving a pipe for aros only is what I prefer ..... but there's aros and aros. Very few of the dozen or so different ones I've come across don't leave goop and ghost smells behind, so more frequent deep cleaning is in order.

xray

Might Stick Around
Oct 1, 2011
NJ
Thanks for all of the replies, guys. Good stuff! I belong to a couple other pipe forums and I don't have to worry about getting the sarcastic "tough guy" type replies here. I don't post on those forums any more. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.