Status
Not open for further replies.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Example;

Ey, you wan' anuthor bayer??

Ellyeah I wanda nuthor beer, Ow bitechoo Jimbo ?

Hoouum ?

DO you wanda nuthor beer Jimbo ?

Ung-huuum

Ey, git three of-im.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Paul as to how to pick languages up.
I picked German from HS classes which got me open to languages from sophomore to senior year (3 total), and I learned Spanish from, people I didn't much like let's say that over the course of 6 months my senior year. French I just adapted Spanish for and taught myself through reading -- and basically the same with the rest of it (Greek, Latin, and older dialects/languages of English and German)
Once you learn your first additive language. . .the how of it becomes part of your brain it seems and the rest is just gravy. As for that first, either schooling or shock-immersion (move somewhere its the only language) is my suggestion. . .Rosetta stone is okay in a way, but it is slow, painful, boring, and teaches you exactly dick about complex grammar and turns of phrase and you know -- the stuff you really need to know. Rosetta stone is in reality just a primer for before you go off and immerse yourself and should never be used any other way -- or with any higher expectations.

sincityjeff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 3, 2011
Splured Spletch langige!
images.jpg

Really don't know any languages.

zunismoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2010
NC
English, little bit of French, A little more of Spanish and Pig Latin. Reading Kevin's post, I realized I forgot one. I am fluent in Sarcasm!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I grew up speaking German and French and learned English when I was about 6 years old. I still speak German quite well, and French at about a 4-year-old level, Although when I am in France or any other French speaking region, after 3 or 4 days I managed to pick up some fluency as the neural pathways are reestablished. Along the way I picked Up Some Street Spanish when living in a border town, Hebrew (let me tell you how cool it is to be able to read the Bible in its original language,) Aramaic, and just to keep myself busy, I've started studying Italian.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I can get around in German and can understand and read some Spanish as a result of being from Texas. I can read and write Korean, but don't always understand it and I pretty good Engrish too.

mrlblackbird

Might Stick Around
Oct 17, 2011
I'm afraid I can only speak English, although I do wish I could speak French. Despite the historical 'tension' between France and Britain (specifically England) I do respect the French and find their language rather beautiful.

Got a bit deep there LOL :lol:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I can speak American English and bits of German. Got so tired of being spoken to in Spanish here in Vegas I decided to start learning a little German. Now when someone asks me "!Hola! ?Como estas?" I reply "Es geht mir gut danke und Ihnen." Love the bewildered looks I get when they know it's not English or Spanish and are totally lost as to what language I'm speaking. Other than hello, how are you I can order a beer and tell a girl she's beautiful. Guess that's all a man needs to know in any country though.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
English, Chinese:Mandarin, Chinese:Taiwanese, and a little bit of japanese. I took some Latin back in the day but I've forgotten most of it.

sorringowl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I can get through university in English. I can get into an argument in Spanish. I can get dinner in Italian, and I can get into trouble in French.

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
apart from English, I speak French and can understand and read some Swedish too....plus a smattering of Scots Gaelic

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
NZPIPER waar het jy jou afrikaans geleer het jy in sa gevoon want ek is tweetaalig flot in afrikaans

en english

david

(SCOTLAND)

stryder

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2011
American English, enough Japanese and Italian to get by, only commands for my dog in German....can only read English.

Naturally smart ass and bull shit plus passable hick. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.