Which Historical Character Would You Choose To Share A Bowl With?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
George Orwell. His political satire was genius, though I think he was mostly a cigarette smoker.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
George Orwell would probably look at society today and say, "Man! This is more screwed up then even I could imagine."

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
He'd totally smoke a pipe.
I suspect you're correct about that...He'd love seeing the Pharisees pull their hair out over it.
George Orwell. His political satire was genius
It wasn't so much satire as Mr. Blair (aka Orwell) just knew what the general plan was...although Huxley's version is really more accurate.
Indeed! Though I bet he'd want an iPhone and a UHD TV.
He'd recognize those right away as being part of the surveillance grid.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
It wasn't so much satire as Mr. Blair (aka Orwell) just knew what the general plan was...although Huxley's version is really more accurate.
Just used the word satire for his treatment of Russia and Stalin's rule in Animal Farm.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ Ah, I see...I tend to immediately think 1984 when Orwell is mentioned.
EDIT: and when Animal Farm is mentioned I immediately think Pink Floyd. :mrgreen:

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I'd like to take JRR Tolkein to the LOTR and hobbit movies. And afterwards over tea and scones, and a pipe or three, discuss what he thought of them. My idea of the ideal weekend.

Jul 12, 2011
+1 - Albert Einstein, sitting around over a good smoke while having him enlighten me on the universe - now that would be a blast

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
On the one hand Sam Clemens, and on the other Abe Lincoln; and on the third hand Meher Baba

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Ah, I see...I tend to immediately think 1984 when Orwell is mentioned.

EDIT: and when Animal Farm is mentioned I immediately think Pink Floyd. :mrgreen:
He was very forward thinking with 1984. As for the Pink Floyd reference, I'll now not be able to not see it. :mrgreen:

badbeard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2017
Kentucky, USA
While we are smoking with favorite authors, I think I'd have a bowl with Kurt Vonnegut. He could smoke a cigarette, since that was his thing. He seems like he'd probably be a trip to hang out with for an hour or so.
On a side note, his father (Kurt Vonnegut Sr.)also seems to have filed a patent for a very interesting pipe design.

US2395596

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I take it that's a hive. I thought it was the corner of your house.
Bless those little buggers; I love me some bee squeezin's!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Shakespeare and Homer (assuming Bill of Stratford actually wrote the works attributed to him and that Homer was in fact a single individual who composed and/or aggregated the Iliad and the Odyssey)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Santa Claus - I'm sure he still smokes a pipe, he just keeps a lower profile so the soccer moms don't boycott him at the local mall during the Christmas season.

davek

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 20, 2014
My first thought was Samuel Clemens. Then an early post mentioned Tolkien and Lewis and I thought, "How could I not think of them?". Then, as the thread went on I saw that all the people mentioned were pretty interesting. I'll say that means all pipe smokers are pretty interesting. :)
Because she has not been mentioned, Ursula K. LeGuin.

Status
Not open for further replies.