Which Aromatics Don't Have a Strong Aftertaste?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
Don't try Stanwell melange. I woke up the next day and I can still taste it . I like it but I have to mix it with RY 50/50 so it is not so cloying.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Condorlover1, an Aromatic Blend is a tobacco blend or mixture that contains a definite flavoring (albeit, not necessarily specifically identifiable). My blend has a "Topping" (the last step) containing six different flavors in combination. Those flavors are: Vanilla, Orange, Caramel, Black Walnut, Maple and Grape. This combination is "fruity" on the "light" English style blend containing 1/16th Latakia. Most recognize a light "grape" flavor. The reviews at tobaccoreviews.com are overall favorable (recommended). I don't know if this answers your question or not. If not, post a response and I'll always answer. Keep in mind that when talking about "aromatic blends" we are presenting a blend with a "top-note" (topping). Really, it is all a matter of degree. For example, there are many blends that advertise a "flavor" such as chocolate, vanilla, coffee, whiskey, fruit, etc. These are aromatic blends. Then there are those blends that do not mention specifically any aroma. Yet, most tobacco blends have an added touch of topping. If nothing else, it is just to bring out the sweetness of the leaf and is barely noticeable or identifiable as a specific flavor.
According to C&D, (the late Craig Tarler) 70% of pipe tobacco sold is aromatic - pleasing to the smoker and those around the smoker. Aromatic may or may not leave the smoker with a satisfying experience. That is an individual determination. How ever you derive your personal pleasure is the key!
In the specific Captain Bob's Blend, only one shot-glass of the "sauce" is sprinkled on the "pound" of tobacco. I hope this helps you.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClellend's make great bulk aro's that get crispy dry if you don't have them sealed. That to me is the mark of a good aro, if it dries out or not.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Andrew, you are so right. Many aromatics are heavily laden with propylene glycol, a preservative to extend shelf life. It makes the smoke wet and goopy. There is no way to dry it out, even in a microwave oven. The high quality aromatics like McClelland and C&D do not use preservatives. They are moisturized with water only and they will dry out. However, they can be brought back to life with proper moisturizing techniques such as discussed in other topics. My personal method is to spray water on the inside lid of my humidor cover if needed. That all depends on how often the jar is opened and how much empty space is inside the jar to accept fresh dry air. Air is the enemy of quality prepared tobacco blends!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.