PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Hi, all. I have been fascinated with pipes for quite awhile, and have decided I'd like to give it a whirl. I am a cigarette smoker, and would like to try to replace that habit. Problem is, I don't know where to begin. My dad smoked a pipe for a bit when I was young, and I can still smell it when I think back. Unfortunately, he's no longer here to offer advice. I am on a budget, and am trying to figure out how best to spend my money without wasting it. I did pick up a Missouri Meerschaum Pride and a pouch of Captain Black. (It's what my dad smoked.) Any advice on choosing a half decent briar? Something that won't break the bank? Also, any recommendations of tobacco blends would be appreciated.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Welcome to the Forum! Chacom, Rossi, Savinelli, and Ropp offer some very good and easily affordable briars. If Captain Black is your cup of tea, give Lane Limited's 1-Q a try. You won't be disappointed.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Welcome welcome! I love my $75 Savinelli 128 and my $99 Peterson XL02
j/B

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Oh yeah, I also love my Missouri Meerschaum's. I have the four or five and together they are still cheaper than my least expensive hardwood.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Looks like you've gotten some good suggestions. The thing to remember is to try different things and find what works for you. As for Briar pipes I'd also suggest Stanwell and Peterson I own some of both and really enjoy both of mine. Blends are going to vary person to person but I like C&D Autumn Evening as a good aromatic.
Enjoy and don't be afraid to search the forums there's loads of posts where people starting out had questions. That will give you something to do while smoking and give you some good information.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Hi hi,
Welcome to the forum dustmite. Best advice I can give you is: Don't worry.
One of the great things about pipe smoking is the variety. Captain Black is a fine tobacco. If for whatever reason you don't love it: Don't worry! There are 100's of other options that won't break your bank. I happen to like to smoke Smoker's Pride vanilla cavendish when I am putzing aroud the yard. The stuff costs $15.50/ 12 oz even here in evil WA State.
If you get a pipe and you don't truly enjoy it: Don't worry! Chances are once you are here a bit, you can sell the thing off to one of us and buy another.
You are right to keep on eye on your wallet. Start with Cobs from Missouri Meershaum if you are broke. A bag of 10 smokable seconds is like $29.95 right now and the website is located to the left under site sponsors. If you don't like cobs: Dont Worry! You can gift them to friends and stuff as you expand your circle of pipe smoking buddies without breaking your bank.
It isn't even fair to advise you on what brands to look for when looking for a briar pipe. There are just so many. You will do fine with a Grabow or Carey. Many will have you jump a step to the big factory pipes: Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson. Still others will offer the lesser mentioned but still good factory pipes: Brigham, Butz-Choquin, Chacom, Nording, Neerup, Rossi (good choice, since it is basically an even more affordable Savinelli), or Ropp.
Seem a bit overwhelming? Don't worry. The guys and gals on this forum will gladly answer any questions you have and help guide you on your path.
Best of luck to you and we hope to see you on here for years to come!
Mike

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks, one and all. I think I'm going to order the 10 pack from Missouri Meerschaum. So far I like the one I have, and hopefully that will give me a bit of variety. And wyfbane, it is a bit overwhelming. I'm used to having a very limited amount of choices...

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
Best advice I can give is to go pick yourself up a few cobs and spend most of the budget sampling tobacco, figure out what you really like. Then go find some nice briar and fill them up.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
So far, I'm really enjoying the pipe. I just got back from a local shop that sells bulk blends, and managed to get out of the store only spending twice what I set as my limit! Waiting for my bag of MM seconds to arrive, but picked up a Diplomat and another Pride while I was out. In the last 3 days I've smoked about 12 cigarettes, down from over a pack a day. I already feel a bit better, and enjoy pipes so much more. Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.