PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I've had a few cigars before though I can't remember what they were. I'm looking for a 30-45 min smoke so what size should I go for? I like English and VaPers. I don't mjnd a good nic hit, though several ropes that I've tried sat me down for a few. Also I don't want to spend too much per stick. I know they aren't near as good of a value as a tin of tobacco but can good ones be had for around $3-5 a stick?

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
This is a good guide I use and so far it hasn't let me down. I especially recommend the Alec Bradley American sun grown, the Oliva series G and series O as well.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/17382
http://top25.cigaraficionado.com/best-buys-of-2014/

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Such fond memories. My first cigar was a padron back in mid 90's. Even after years of and smoking everything from Cubans to Fuentes, my favorite is still Padron. Their regular line can be had within your budget. They are an awesome way to begin!!

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
can good ones be had for around $3-5 a stick?
Definitely ... here's a few:
Gran Habano Corojo Vintage 2002

5 Vegas Series A

Diesel Unlimited Maduro

La Perla Habana Classic Maduro

Bahia Maduro

Sancho Panza Double Maduro

Spectre

Partagas Black Label
If you want a 30-45 minute smoke, just limit the length of the cigar to around 5 inches.

Also, my personal suggestion for ring gauge is 46-52 as I find this to be a good wrapper / filler ratio.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Also sign up at www.cigarplace.biz and you'll get their email specials, they have tons of great specials, if I qualified for the free shipping I would have a hard time saying no to alot of them. They have alot of these meet your maker 5 packs for around 25$ usually and you get free shipping on them. http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=b5b2cb6fb91188f190a07b491&id=25b4a68ce0&e=a27da2644a This link should show you the specials right now

Jun 4, 2014
For a 30 to 45 minute smoke you can go with a corona or a petit robusto size cigar. The Arturo Fuente Don Carlos #3, Arturo Fuente Sun Grown 8-9-8, Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story, and the Padron 2000 are all good medium bodied cigars. More full bodied Tatuaje Noellas and My Father Le Bijou 1932 Petit Robusto, Olivia Serie V Belicoso.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Also take a look at Tatuaje. Depending on size and RG, some of their lines fall squarely in the $3 to $5 range if bought as a 5-pack (Series P, Tattoo, Reserva, Ambos Mundos) and are very well reviewed.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Short Story ain't bad, smoked my first one in over 40 yrs and it wasn't bad. Sent a Friend a box of Artro Naturals for Christmas, when SPC had a tin sale I stocked up on London Mixture I ordered 5. Gotta give credit to some young Woman on this Forum, her name escapes me but it was a nice little smoke. Pulvars has a small Meer Holder that I bought to smoke them. Don't think I will be big on them, but only time will tell.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
These are my most recent purchase:
cs-j2h.jpg

Around $5 a stick, 4x46 (perfect 30-45 minute smoke) and tasty to boot!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Make sure you shop around, atlantic cigar is another place with good prices, like for example cigars international has oliva series G Churchill for 120$ whereas atlantic has them for 80$. There's huge price differences among sites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had better luck with Dominicans than any other, including Cubans smoked outside the U.S. Unless you are

going to smoke cigars regularly, I'd spend six or eight a stick, and ask someone at a cigar/pipe shop who is a little

older and not a blowhard to recommend something Dominican in that price range. Or at least that's what I'd

do not having smoked cigars in quite a while, except at an occasional event where they were offered. If you blow

twenty bucks on three cigars, and if it isn't the best experience of the week, you'll know why you're a pipe smoker.

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
IMO, you can not go wrong with any blend from AJ Ferrnandez, Oliva, Arturo Fuente, Partagas, Belinda, Montecristo and Pinar del Rio.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
If you dont mind a longer smoke, pm me your address and i can send some sticks. If you like them you can order shorter ones.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The Oliva Connecticut robusto was my first. Good flavor, not too overpowering. Smokes for about 45 minutes. Smoke mostly their maduros now, but still pick up a couple of Connecticut sticks when I make an order.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
If you are looking for a really nice budget cigar, the Casa de Garcia robusto is an excellent choice. It is a "white label" brand that many cigar shops in Canada and the US use as their "house" sticks. Excellent burn and value for the dollar, they are around $2 a stick. I also enjoy Oliva cigars and the Flor de Oliva line is their budget line and they are absolutely fantastic sticks for approximately $3. I also agree that the largest size for your timeline would be a robusto.

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
These all great suggestions! Thanks for the info too, I've gotten a small education/intro into this part of smoking the leaf.

I'll be placing an order soon, I'll let you know what I come up with.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I asked a cigar smoker about his smoking routines, especially whether or not a cigar could be smoked intermittently, and he said he allows his cigar to go out and re lights it several times over hours to no bad effect.

Different smokes for different folks. (is that the first time ya heard that one?)

Status
Not open for further replies.