PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Inside. If my teenagers don't like, they can leave!
I wish things had been like that in my house when I was a teenager. Damn rules.
I was recently banished to the outdoors while smoking, by SWMBO, but even more recently, have been conceded our spare bedroom, aka music studio, aka storage facility, so I am grateful. Also, I bought an air purifier, which seems to do some good, along with several cans of Febreeze.

pipebow88

Can't Leave
Jun 12, 2013
My winter smoking would greatly suffer if it wasn't for being able to smoke inside. Thankful my wife doesn't set herself against it. She just prefers I stay away from strong English when I can.

B

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This needs to be a sticky. It's a problem that gets posed every year at around this time.
I'm fortunate to have an attached, heated garage. I can smoke as much as I desire out there.
Other solutions have been posited already: A window fan, a shed with a heater, the car. If buying a smoking shed is going to meet resistance, you may want to propose the idea of a tool shed, lawn tractor shed, wood shed or patio furniture shed. But don't underestimate your mate's desire to get you the hell out of the house in the wintertime. Honesty is sometimes the best policy. Just remind them how nice it would be to have you go AWOL for a hour every evening.
Back before we had a house with a garage, I used to smoke cigars in my darkroom. I installed a kick-ass (residential, not commercial) kitchen hood over the sink and it did a great job of sucking the smoke out. Be sure to have sufficient return (sometimes called "make up") air, otherwise the fan just spins, draws a slight vacuum in the room and nothing gets blown outside.
No need to cut a hole in the wall, either. It's easy to run the flex duct to a temporary window vent.
Dryer_Window_Vent_by_Vent_Works.jpg

Keep an eye on Craigslist, lots of kitchen hoods end up in the trash when kitchens get upgraded.

I have a house next door to my girlfriend of 10 years. I do what I want. We refuse to move in together, and we mutually agree that marriage is a relationship killer, so we both have the ideal situation. Living in sin is heavenly divine, ha ha. And, I don't have to stand in the street smoking like a schmuck on cold evenings. And, I can watch whatever I want before bed. And, no cover hog in my bed. And, no one ever tells me to get my dirty clothes off the floor or complains about toothpaste, and I can clean my pipes where ever I want in my house. And, she can hang her girly things in her bathroom, leaves stacks of folded clothes everywhere, and silently fart with wild abandon.

And, when the moon is romantic like a big pizza pie... I just go next door. Ahhhhh, life is good.
Thanks guys for reminding me. :puffy:

In my studio, which is a part of the retail space, I have a hood, with an inline vent motor. The inline vent motors are so much better than any of the other venting systems. I can turn my hood on, light up my pipe, and solder, weld, cast, with no odors, because everything is pulled straight up and out without any lingering odors. I just have to keep the air conditioning or heater on, because it can cause an airtight room to have a bit of ear-popping vacuum pressure. But, someone can be standing right next to me, and not smell my smoke. And, since the motor to the vent is actually outside, there is no roar of a motor that you have to talk above.
Also, I keep a can of Vanilla Ozium in my pipe bag. One tiny squirt of that in the air, and all smoke in neutralized. Way better than Fabreeze, which just tries to mask odors, IMO.

longbowman

Might Stick Around
Oct 11, 2014
I've been living in Northern Arizona for 14 years and we get plenty of snow. I just throw on this parka I got from Russia and go outside and smoke. I like the cold with a good parka on, a fine pair of boots up to the knee, and a pipe. But, then, I will hike in snowstorms, too. I usually just sit in my jeep and smoke. Weather doesn't bother me if I want to enjoy a smoke. My jeep is my "smoking room", so to speak.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I have my shop building and a barn I can always duck into. The shop building is heated with a wood stove but unless I'm working on a project and will be out there for a while it takes too long to fire up the stove just to smoke a bowl or two. By the middle of winter the shop has gotten pretty cold so I just try and keep busy with something while I'm in there.

Mar 1, 2014
-jmatt
I'm curious what people in cooler/cold winter climates do.
Usually two layers on my legs when it's above -10C, three when it's a little colder, and four if it's below -20C. For some reason my legs always freeze first.

Same thing with sweaters under my jacket, though I may shed those depending on how hard it is snowshoeing out to my favourite patch of brush. Always wear gators (water repellent knee-high leg covers) with Snowshoes, your pant legs get pretty wet.

If your core is warm just a thin glove can be good enough to stop frostbite on your fingers, mostly depending on the wind.

Still air and a sunny day can be very pleasant even if it's bitterly cold. Obviously parts of your face are exposed most of the time, your body just pumps heat to your head, where your fingers don't have quite the same priority. A hat that covers your ears is a must, and honestly, the beard helps.

I would probably bring a gun if I had one, for now a hunting knife will do the trick. I'm actually only a few miles from town (not large) but my favourite spot is only a few dozen yards from multiple coyote dens, normally harmless but you hear the occasional story.

I mostly like to hike out there just for fun (and exercise), but pipes make it that much better. I also have a tack room in the barn where I can sit if the weather is bad (clean cement floor, no hay).
The cold sucks sometimes, but I have absolutely no worry of starting fires, there's no-one to bother me, and I get my exercise.

(Actually the concern over fires prevents me from going hiking with a pipe in the summer, so winter is better in that regard.)

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
What do I do?
As king of my castle, I smoke in front of the fireplace reclined in my Lazy Boy. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.